Pool Deck Paint

Bill in SoCal

LifeTime Supporter
I purchased my home with pool in August 2013. The previous homeowner had installed concrete rockscape around the pool 3-4 years ago. This includes planter beds, pool deck, columns wrapping the patio cover and the pool waterfall. Anyways, it looked nice (and freshly painted) when I bought, but a year later the paint on the rockscape surfaces has started to deteriorate significantly and patches of "white" (the paint color was a sort of medium caramel) are showing everywhere. I've never done much painting of outdoor concrete surfaces but would like to try vs. hiring someone. Does anyone have any experience with painting large outdoor "rockscape" and pool deck surfaces? What products seem to work well and "stand the test of time"? It appears the existing paint was sprayed on (based upon the multiple areas of over-spray), but can it be rolled and brushed on? Could probably get access to a decent paint sprayer if I had to. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help out with guidance and advice.

I have a "stained" stamped concrete deck. My wife and I put the concrete stain on with a brush. It was sold as a concentrate that you mixed with water. We then sealed the patio with a concrete sealer. I assume your rockscape is painted a natural color or stained to look like real rock?

If you want the rockscape to look natural, it should be stained with multiple colors to look real. I would hire someone to do this. The other things you mention sound like they can be accomplished with one color. These can be easily done by you.

Paint on concrete or masonry has a limited life. As pointed out above stains are usually better but require sealing. The best looking stuff is done by professionals.

If you really want to paint, I'd go to two or three paint stores (not hd or lowes) with pictures of what you have and explain what you want. See what they say.

Pool paints and deck paints usually don't last long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.