Return Jet in Fibreglass Steps

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
I am in the process of redoing my deck with composite. As I now have all the old boards off, my wife asked me if its possible to get a jet in the steps to help in flushing around the dirt that always seems to accumulate there.

Am I correct in saying, Yep, I will run a T off the closest return, cut a 1 1/2" hole in steps where its clearly marked for a jet, plumb it with a basic return, silicone, thread in eyeball and use spa flex to complete it?

If it's going to be underground, I would use rigid PVC. Just realize that you'll be cutting the flow rate in half on the return you T off of.

I have dirt that accumulates on my steps and have thought of this but 1 minute of brushing on the steps solves that problem. Putting a return on the steps would mean a LOT of work for me and I'd still get dirt on the top step, probably almost as much on the bottom step anyway.

My PB put a return in my fiberglass steps and it helps keep them clean. We do have another return not too far from that one and I am sure it does decrease the flow of the other one. In the summer when there is heavy usage and dirt and I want a little more umph in the steps I take the eyeball out if the return closest to it and replace it with a plug that has only a small hole drilled in it to increase flow in the step area. And I believe that you could use flex if you wanted to. Our whole pool is plumbed in 1.5" flex and is IG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, was pretty sure, but my previous Pool Store said it wasn't recommended, I assume because it would cost them 30' of pipe and some fittings. I have plenty of flow in both existing returns, so it wont be an issue. Spa flex isn't an issue here, no chance of ever seeing termites. I am just starting fresh with a new pool business and I believe I will be using rigid where possible as it is significantly cheaper, but spa flex is easier to go around stuff in my mind.

Once again, this site rocks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.