Adding DE to sand filter w/ SWG

melbajr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2013
Florence, SC
Can I add DE to a sand filter that is used with an SWG? I read the article on adding DE to a sand filter and thought it sounded helpful. I went online to order DE but the specs page said it was not compatible with SWGs. I don't recall reading that in pool school so I wondered if it meant that a DE filter is not compatible w/ an SWG or if adding some DE to a sand filter shouldn't be done with an SWG at all?

If adding DE to a sand filter with an SWG should never be done, please be sure to mention that in the pool school article.

I have used DE with my sand filter, but I don't do it anymore because there's really no need. My sand filter gets my water plenty clear for me.

In fact, the LAST thing you want to do is add DE to your filter when you are SLAMming. You'll just have to backwash it all back out when it catches all the dead algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.