Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE to sand filter w/ SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Adding DE to sand filter w/ SWG

Can I add DE to a sand filter that is used with an SWG? I read the article on adding DE to a sand filter and thought it sounded helpful. I went online to order DE but the specs page said it was not compatible with SWGs. I don't recall reading that in pool school so I wondered if it meant that a DE filter is not compatible w/ an SWG or if adding some DE to a sand filter shouldn't be done with an SWG at all?

If adding DE to a sand filter with an SWG should never be done, please be sure to mention that in the pool school article.
    Grecian 11,800 gal. IG vinyl, Pentair TA-60 sand filter, 1.5 hp Superflo, built in 2007, replaced vinyl & converted to Intellichlor IC-40 SWG in 2012 after we purchased home. TF-100 Testkit, SWG manufacturer recommends salt levels 2600-4500, ideal being 3400-3500. Polaris 180 vac.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Adding DE to sand filter w/ SWG

Why do you want to do it? What does your water look like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have never heard why DE would not be compatible with a SWG ... makes no sense.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

water is cloudy and green algae is forming.
    Grecian 11,800 gal. IG vinyl, Pentair TA-60 sand filter, 1.5 hp Superflo, built in 2007, replaced vinyl & converted to Intellichlor IC-40 SWG in 2012 after we purchased home. TF-100 Testkit, SWG manufacturer recommends salt levels 2600-4500, ideal being 3400-3500. Polaris 180 vac.

5. Back To Top    #5

green algae is not a filter problem, that is a chemistry problem that you need to resolve before worrying about the filtration.

You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

It wouldn't be the 1st time that a description or spec page had a mistake.
    I would expect that you would have heard it before but do you know of any SWG owner with DE added to a sand filter?

7. Back To Top    #7

I've just started the slam

most recent numbers are:
    fc=.5
    cc=.5
    ph=7.5
    ta=50
    ch=100
    cya=30

I will update later today...

8. Back To Top    #8

I have used DE with my sand filter, but I don't do it anymore because there's really no need. My sand filter gets my water plenty clear for me.

In fact, the LAST thing you want to do is add DE to your filter when you are SLAMming. You'll just have to backwash it all back out when it catches all the dead algae.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!