DE Filter Problem Please help

Aug 23, 2014
greenwood, in
Hello,

We have a 28,000 Gallon gunite pool. We have a hayward pump and hayward DE Filter.

A little background before we get to the problem: Last week we ran into some major ammonia problems. It took us about 4 days to get it back. During this time I noticed the pressure was high (about 30 PSI) on the filter and the pump was getting plenty of water in, but was only about 1/2 full.

The pool store recommended we take the grids out clean and put back. We did that, they were really bad. Some of the worst I have seen. We backwashed, put DE back, and turned everything back to normal. The pump started full of water and was thrusting around but then water level dropped and the pressure went right back to 30 PSI

The pool store said leave it, it could just be working over time to get the junk out of the pool.

Today I went in to lay the kids down for nap came back about 2 hours later and we were missing about 5 inches of water around the whole pool.

I ran to the equipment and water and parts were everywhere. The pump was running dry because water was below skimmer line so I quickly killed it. Valve handles were blown off and one section of piping where it Ts had blown itself apart.

After I turned everything off, I opened the lid to the pump, released the air valve on the filter, and let all the remaining pressure out. I took the metal clip off the filter and tried to open it up. I could hardly get it open, but once I did, it was full of water I mean from top to bottom. The water ran everywhere. The grids look like they have been coated with gunk again. This has only been 2 days since we cleaned the grids.

We are stumped, what caused this. Where is the issue. Obviously pressure built up and it blew but where do I even start?

Welcome to TFP!

With any kind of dirt or algae in the water, a DE filter can clog in less than an hour. Like you said, sounds like something failed due to the back pressure. What particular filter and pump do you have?

Need pool chemistry help

Split by moderator from HERE. Please always start your own thread to ask your own questions as it will result is more direct responses and less confusion. Thanks, jblizzle

Hi everyone.

We are fairly new pool owners and we have had a rough go lately.

About 2 weeks ago we got ammonia really bad. It was so bad my DE filter pressure went through the roof and the pressure exploded in the pipe connections.

Everything seemed to be good, pressure on the filter is perfect, we run it 24 hours a day. But our chemistry is still not right. The water looks clear and has a good color to it. We are way back in the woods so we fight the shade all day long. There is hardly any direct sunlight.

We have Tot Chlorine 0.3
We have Free Chlorine 0.3
PH 7.2
Alkalinity 200
Copper 0.2
CYA 77

Any thoughts, I have tried the pool math calculator but just not sure I am doing everything right. Thanks!

Re: Need pool chemistry help

1) How are you getting those test results?
2) If those results can be trusted, I don't see anything that suggests you have (or had) an ammonia problem.
3) Even if you hypothetically have (or had) an ammonia problem, that doesn't lead to pressure increases. Pressure increase is due to something being trapped by the filter.
4) Has the pump/filter issue been solved? Your other thread from 23rd August means that you would need to solve your plumbing issues before tackling your chemistry issues

A pool pump should not be able to generate enough pressure to blow valves and fittings apart :scratch:
Pool Equipment is designed to handle 50 psi and pool pumps I thought were pretty much limited to 40psi. And PVC fitting that are properly connected should be able to handle MUCH higher pressures.

Can you add pictures of the equipment/plumbing carnage?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.