De blowing into pool

ChrisL

Apr 3, 2007
I have a problem with DE blowing into my pool. I have a 48 foot Hayward filter. I know it happens when the filter is on. I replaced the elements as they were old and I thought this was it. When I replaced the elements, I noticed some small cracks in the manifold. First I used marine epoxy on the cracks. When this did not stop the DE leak, I replaced the manifold. It still leaks. Before I go in and replace the o-ring on the inside pipe to the manifold, is there anything else it could be? Could it be the multiport valve?

One last thought. I read somewhere that you should only tighten the nut on the rod that holds the manifold to the elements slightly. I tightened it some more after the last breakdown but this did not seem to help. Maybe I didn't tighten it enough? Is there any way to tell when it is tight enough? I could use any thoughts or help anyone can give. Thanks.

Chris, welcome to TFP!!

If you know the manifold is cracked, that's probably where the problem is :( As far as tightening the nut, tighten it so that all the grids are secure and the fabric is at least touching the manifold. A cracked manifold will allow DE back into the pool. You may also want to check the 'spider gasket'/ 'wagon wheel' in the multiport!

Please keep us informed as to what you find!!! - we'll be here to help!

Thanks. I already replaced the manifold after the replacement of the grids did not do the trick. I will check the spider gasket for problems. I didn't think it would be this because the multiport is only in its second year.

I checked the spider gasket last night and as I thought, it looked brand new. I lubed it prior to putting the variflo back together. I am going to replace the outlet elbow o-ring tonight. As I already replaced the grids and the manifold, it is the only thing left on the inside that I can think of that could be causing the DE to blow into the pool. If anyone has any ideas on other things to look at before I backwash and break down the filter, feel free to chime in. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.