Don't know where to start with pool/tadpole aquarium

Aug 14, 2014
Cole Camp, MO
I just bought 8 acres with a house and a pool. The pool is filled with algae and thousands of tadpoles. I have read through the Pool School and tried to educate myself. I also purchased a test kit, a bucket of chlorine granules, a huge bag of Arm & Hammer baking soda, and leaf rake/skimmer. Since I couldn't figure out how to pump the water out, I siphoned about half of it out with some garden hoses, then climbed into it and started removing as much algae as I could with the leaf rake/net thing, but now I realize it's just going to grow back so this is no solution. I used my test kit and if I'm reading it right, it says that my PH level is 8.2 or above.

Since it's late August, I'm mainly thinking about restoring it to some decent condition so that I can winterize it. I've spent hours reading and tinkering with this pool but I'm still not 100% sure what the very first thing is that I should be doing. I kinda need someone to hold my hand through this.

Thank you for your patience with a pool newb.

Welcome to TFP.

What test kit do you have? You will need a test that has the FAS-DPD chlorine test and you will probably need twice the amount of those reagents that come standard in order to test a lot while clearing a swamp.

Can you post a full set of results?

PH
FC
CC
TA
CYA

I plugged the pump in today and it made a humming sound so I guess that means it works. The previous owner just left all the hoses and equipment scattered and laying behind the barn, so I'm trying to figure out if I have everything I need still. I found the documentation and read through it but I haven't actually tried to pump anything because it seems like there's other stuff I need to do first.

I'll buy the TF100. Thanks.

First things first. Order a test kit that will give you the numbers you need to get this under control. I use the TF-100, you might want the XL version. If there is any duplication with what you already have you could order just the parts you need, but over time, you will be happier if you get the full kit and the box it goes in. The kit has better value sizes of the things you need.

While you are waiting, rake everything out of the pool that you can. Push that leaf rake along the bottom, blind, to try to grab whatever solids there are down there. It takes a ton of chlorine to turn sticks and leaves into liquid, so pull those out now.

You can get the ph down with muriatic acid. Just go slowly, add half the acid you calculate you need (using Pool Math) and circulate an hour then retest. Yes, you may need to get the pool floor clean and be certain the pump runs well before you work on pH.

Ok, I'll get the test kit ordered and I'll try to drag the bottom of the pool.

Dumb question maybe, but is it safe to get in the pool in its current state? Someone told me I shouldn't get in it because of bacteria, but if I don't get in it I really don't know how I'm going to get it clean.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

The TF-100 is a good choice as is the Speedstir https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_EJknrPjYE&list=UUNFkPFCkt9Y_YYNAeLtUr1g

First thing is you need a pump that is working to mix chemicals. Get the pump working.

Lower the pH with the kit you have as it's good for doing that.

If the pool is still half full add half a gallon of bleach a day to it once the pumps running and you've lowered the pH.

You need to do the blind raking until your arms fall off or you don't get anything in the net. Anything left on the bottom is going to cost you in time and bleach $$$.

Have you added any stabilizer (CYA) to it yet ??

When not raking the pool you should be reading up on "Pool School" articles http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/. Might also be helpful to read through a few threads from other pool owners asking for help with their green swamps to get a feel for what you are in for. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.