Varible speed numbers High enough

dansdad

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2013
I have a Pentair variable speed pump. I have it running about 8hours a day but the speed is never above
1500. So it circulates fine but if I want the cleaner to run I have to bump it to 3450 for an hour. The pool looks clear but I'm wondering what you folks with variable speed pumps run yours at a day. Thanks for the input. Dave G.

Sorry, I changed my signature, Dave G. The pump works well I just wondered what speed do I need to run it at to work the pool cleaner. I only run it at 3450 for an hour for cleaning. Do I need to run it longer at a different speed just for the pool sweep and save 3450 for addition of chlorine...polyquat 60 (if needed) etc. Thank you

Pentair makes 5 or 6 VS pumps, I still have no idea which you have.

The cleaner should have a gauge to determine the correct flow rate. Should not need full speed if all suction is through the cleaner.

Also no need for full speed to add chemicals.

On an IntelliFlo VF you can set it to run at any speed, no fixed presets as even the GPM settings can be tweaked by Features that allows a start of a Filter Cycle and then one minute later, a Feature with specific overrides can be programmed.

Depending on your goal, you can adjust slowly up or down the speed to allow cleaner to operate normally.

During the summer, we run most of our family pools 24 hours but set the speed at 900 RPM, just enough to circulate water and bump it up using Features to 1300 to 1400 RPM to allow the IntelliChlor to turn on at 25 GPM for a few hours. Cleaner also moves briskly at this point but does not move at the slower speed which also shuts down the IntelliChlor transformer.

I recently installed a Pentair VS pump 011018. Its setup to run 1 hr at a relative high speed (2700) to clean the pool (in-floor system) then drop back to a slower speed (1500) for a couple hours to keep the SWG making and adding chlorine during mid day, then low and slow (1000) until very late evening (just because it's cheap at 100 watts and boy does it make the water sparkle).

I also have a "Quick Clean" program available at the push of a button. I set it up for 3200 rpm and 1.5 hrs. It is reserved for a heavier cleaning than the daily program. So far I'm happy with the results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.