Re: Did I add to much stabilizer to my pool ?!?

Aug 21, 2014
Biloxi, MS

My local pool store tells me it's impossible to have too much stabilizer. Mine's currently above 150ppm, and I'd like to bring it down to the level that seems to be "normal", from what I've read on this site. Aren't stabilizer and CYA the same thing? Am I on the right track, or am I all wet, so to speak? What about my pool store's comment?

Edit: currently using marginally effective test strips…yes, a TF-100 test kit is on it's way!
----------------------------------------
10,000 gallon / fiberglass / IG pool
Pentair Nautilus FNS24 D.E. Filter
Hayward 3/4HP pump
Build/Install date: June 2003
Polaris 360

Last edited:

Having too much stabilizer is definitely possible -- although strictly speaking it's not "too much", just "so much that managing your pool reliably becomes a huge pain in the ***"

Yes, stabilizer = CYA and managing CYA levels seems to be one of the "magic tricks" which make it easier to maintain your pool over the long term. So yes, draining/refilling to bring CYA levels down would be a good thing. You can manage the pool at higher levels but if you ever let the chlorine levels dip too low for the CYA level (higher CYA levels need higher FC levels for the same sanitizing effect) and have to fight an algae bloom the high CYA levels will make that very difficult.

Two things -

1. Stop listening to anything the pool store "experts" tell you to do. They have already showed their ignorance by telling you what they did about CYA.

2. You need to drain off about half your pool water and refill or else you will not be able to reliably control your pool. I had 150ppm of CYA back in late May and I almost had a massive algae outbreak had I not come to this site and caught it in time.

Yes, it stinks to have to drain that much water. But at 150ppm CYA, you'll have to keep your FC levels so high that it will be impractical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the comments! After reading a number of posts and educating myself through the Pool School, I realize the "experts" are far from it. I was having a hard time keeping the pool clear, now it all makes sense. So, the next question…how do I drain that much water without risking floating (it's a fiberglass pool), cracking, or other issues?

Thank you for the comments! After reading a number of posts and educating myself through the Pool School, I realize the "experts" are far from it. I was having a hard time keeping the pool clear, now it all makes sense. So, the next question…how do I drain that much water without risking floating (it's a fiberglass pool), cracking, or other issues?
You can always do it in stages like I did. Aggressive backwashing and drain a foot or so anytime I got the urge. So far I have taken mine down from 200+ to 70.

Another option is on a very hot day make sure your pump is not running and mixing the water. You will end up with warm water near the surface and cooler water at the bottom. Drain from the top and add water at the bottom (should be colder coming out of the hose). Slow and steady and you can drain a lot without dropping the water level at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I forgot to say - ignore the folks at the pool store. They have already shown your their (lack) depth of knowledge.

Got it! I just read a few more posts and I think I can make it work. In the meantime, I've been adding lots of liquid chlorine (bleach) and things are looking really good. Many thanks!

Edit: I have to add, for those newbies like me…after spending some quality time in the Pool School and reading various posts, this is a lot less daunting than it was a few days ago. As many have said, mastery of the chemicals is becoming second nature.

Got it! I just read a few more posts and I think I can make it work. In the meantime, I've been adding lots of liquid chlorine (bleach) and things are looking really good. Many thanks!

Edit: I have to add, for those newbies like me…after spending some quality time in the Pool School and reading various posts, this is a lot less daunting than it was a few days ago. As many have said, mastery of the chemicals is becoming second nature.

Just for inspiration, my CYA was at 150ppm in late May after using pucks all winter long. Then I found TFP and got schooled at PoolSchool. I used a combination of aggressive backwashing (during the days I had off) and slow drains every night (about 3" per evening). In two weeks time, I reduced my CYA by almost 60%.

My pool has been sparkling beautiful all summer long without any issues whatsoever.

You can do it!!!

Slow and steady wins the race....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.