CH 550-600

Today

FC 8
    CC. 0
    PH 7.2
    TA. 60
    CYA. 60
    CH 490

Obviously I have drained water over the past year. I guess well over half the total refill over time was rain as I am against wasting water in the desert. We have had 4-5 inches of rain in August, as we'll as a few in July. I am so happy it has gone as I hoped.

Besides CYA down to where I want it with all the sunshine we get here in Tucson, the CH has also dropped.

With a Pebbletec pool (plaster underneath I imagine) and CH of 490 is my CSI of around .38 preferable or is my TA too low?
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Re: CSI

I'm not getting a CSI anywhere close to 0.38 with your new numbers unless I use a temp of ~185F. Can you please check?

I would advise keeping TA as it is. Higher TA would contribute to higher pH and a combination of increased TA and pH pushes your CSI nearer to scaling, more so than temperature alone.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail K View Post
    I'm not getting a CSI anywhere close to 0.38 with your new numbers unless I use a temp of ~185F. Can you please check?

I would advise keeping TA as it is. Higher TA would contribute to higher pH and a combination of increased TA and pH pushes your CSI nearer to scaling, more so than temperature alone.
    I still get .37 CSI with my numbers,
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

I resized my pool closer to 10000 gal, but either way .3 is very close to .37

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool size does not change CSI, and PoolMath shows negative 0.3, rather than positive 0.3 or positive 0.37, unless I'm missing something?

7. Back To Top    #7

She's right. I can tell just by looking without even going to PoolMath. TA of 60 and pH of 7.2 means your CSI can't be that high.

Can you post a screenshot of PoolMath after you put the numbers in?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

I had another bad day, yes it was a negative -.37, not a positive .37.

I knew what I meant! Sorry for misleading

9. Back To Top    #9

I stand by my original recommendation of leaving TA as it is. CSI is still within recommended range and taking your location into account, CH would accumulate if you top up your pool with municipal water.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail K View Post
    I stand by my original recommendation of leaving TA as it is. CSI is still within recommended range and taking your location into account, CH would accumulate if you top up your pool with municipal water.
    Thanks, I appreciate the confirmation. I only measured fill water here once but it was 100. Another reason I prefer to try and go slow and fill with rainwater whenever I can