Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baffled by intex sand filter behavior

1. Back To Top    #1

Baffled by intex sand filter behavior

Hi everyone, I got my Intex 3000 sand filter pump from yesterday. I set it up put sand, back washed, rinsed and then run it in filter mode. The pressure gauge needle is on the yellow zone but not too far from the green zone. I did a search here and it seems like this is pretty common issue. I don't have air in the pump and the water flowing out of outtake is pretty strong. So I didn't worry about. This morning, I plugged in my Aquabug. I did some search on impact of vacuums on the sand filter pressure and what I have seen is that the pressure will likely go up. But when I plugged in my vacuum and flipped the pump on, the pressure gauge went to the green zone. After 2 hours of vacuuming, I disconnected the Aquabug. I flipped the pump switch on, and the pressure gauge is back to the yellow zone like before. So I probably misunderstood what I read about vacuum increasing pressure or something weird was going on. Does anybody have the same experience as me or have some thoughts about this behavior?
    Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame Round Pool - AG, Intex Krystal Clear Model 28633EG 2500 Filter Pump, Intex Krystal Clear SWG #28663EG, TFT100 Test Kit, Hayward Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baffled by intex sand filter behavior

on most sand filters the pressure gauge is between the pump and the filter and measures the force to push water through the filter
    by using your suction cleaner you are placing a resistance before the pump
    so the pump has less pressure
    the gauge reads lower after pump before filter
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the explanation aussieta. I did two rounds of backwash and rinse this morning. The gauge stays in the same yellow zone. So I guess I won't worry about it and just monitor for 25% increase to backwash again.

Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame Round Pool - AG, Intex Krystal Clear Model 28633EG 2500 Filter Pump, Intex Krystal Clear SWG #28663EG, TFT100 Test Kit, Hayward Skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the Intex 2650 sand filter connected to a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump. When I run the pump or/and the vacuum (Pentair Lil Shark Kreepy Krauly), my pressure is right on the green/yellow line. When the filter is dirt, the pressure gauge goes to mid yellow. This seems to be standard so I do not concern myself with it. When I run my solar, I throttle my diverter valve so I the pressure is about 2-3 psi into the yellow zone. I have had this filter for about two years with no problems so I think it is working as designed.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks f3justusc..this really helped me calm my nerves

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

My gauge rarely moves properly. I monitor the flow on the return. When it has less force, I backwash. Once in a while, the gauge with go up slightly, like when I added DE. But if the pump turns off, it seems like it goes back to the original spot when you turn it back on.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the feedback PAGirl

8. Back To Top    #8

PAGirl, when you take the gauge off, does water come shooting out? Perhaps, there is something plugging the hole to the gauge or it needs to be replaced.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I never took it off. It never really seemed to function all that well. I know I probably should replace it, but I have learned how they filter behaves, and haven't had any problems.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Same here. My gauge was smashed out of the box, so I just backwash when I notice the return pressure getting low, maybe every couple of weeks. This is my 2nd Intex sand filter, so I was already familiar with how they work. The gauge on the first one did work, but it was of dubious usefulness. I ended up mostly winging it with that one too. If one were to replace the Intex gauge with one of real quality, it might be worth paying attention to. But the stock one? Meh.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm glad I saw this thread. I was just going to ask the same question about the gauge. Mine stays just insde the yellow no matter how much i back wash. I've wasted a lot of water.
    16 x 48 Intex pool