United Chemical Pink Treat masking chlorine levels?

May 20, 2014
Mountain Top, PA
I thought I beat my pink mold problem a few weeks ago, but came home last night to find a bit of pink on a vertical strip on my steps, maybe 10 inches long. It was late and dark, so after brushing off the mold and inspecting the entire pool and not finding any other visible signs of a problem, I added a bottle of 12 percent bleach and went to bed.

I had a bottle of United Chemical Pink Treat that was dropped off by the pool tech a few weeks ago. I was hesitant to use it because I did not want to create any new problems. But after keeping my FC between 5 to 7 for the past few weeks, how could the pink mold return?

To eradicate the pink mold the first time around, I shocked to 35 FC and kept it there for several days, and then kept FC above 12 for about a week). Since I have a high cya problem, I have not let FC drop below 5 since then. Now this mini bloom. I figured I needed to do something drastic.

So I decided to try the Pink Treat tonight. First I vacuumed and backwashed. Then I distributed the Pink Treat and brushed the walls as directed (although there was no mold or algae visible anywhere in the pool and the water has been crystal clear). Next I added 2 bottles of 12 percent bleach and 3 bags of cal hypo. Water turned an odd shade of yellowish green. Went to dinner.

When I got home, water looked clear. I tested. Before I started the treat process, my FC was 8.4 and CC less than 1. Now, I'm getting a reading of FC 3.6 and CC 1.4. What?! I have not had any kind of chlorine demand of late. Does anyone know if the Pink Treat masks chlorine levels? I know I used another chemical by the same company (stain treat), and a few hours later, my FC reading plummeted. I later read on their web site that Stain Treat masks chlorine levels. But it doesn't say anything on their web site about Pink Treat masking FC.

I added some bleach tonight and have to get more tomorrow. If this chemical (Pink Treat) masks chlorine, does anyone know for how long?
If it has created a chlorine demand, does anyone know how long that will last? I've read here it turns your pool into a bromine pool. I'm not sure what that means.

I'm hoping this is just a temporary issue. My FC should have been at least 15, after adding all that bleach. And as I said, there had been no chlorine demand prior to today. Believe me, I test morning noon and night. I would have seen a problem creeping up. Worst summer ever since becoming a pool owner. Frustrating.

Nearly 48 hours later, and I still can't register a FC reading. So far, I've added 12 bags of cal hypo, 6 bottles of 12 percent bleach and 4 bags of lithium hypo. Each time I've shocked, wiithin two hours, chlorine is gone. Ph is 7.2, TA is 90. Water is crystal clear. Going back to the store for more bleach.

Should I add polyquat 60?

Polyquat does not help existing problems, it can help prevent algae.

What test kit are you using?
You just need to keep adding liquid chlorine until you have a readying. We do not use or recommend the "potion" that you tried so, I am not sure what it is doing to your water.

Good news. My test this morning reads FC 17, Ph 7.6 and TA 130. This after no FC reading higher than 1.6 since I put Pink Treat in my pool Friday night (it's now Monday morning) despite multiple shock treatments.

I still don't know whether Pink Treat was masking the chlorine levels or eating the chlorine. I've read here and elsewhere that Pink Treat is Bromine based and temporarily turns your pool into a bromine pool, so I guess that's what happened, but I can't explain not being able to maintain FC.

jblizze, thanks for responding. I'm not sure what "potion" you are referring to. Besides the Pink Treat and a little Borax because the ph at one point dropped to 7.0 (apparently this was also a false reading), I've added nothing but chlorine. I guess the Pink Treat itself could be considered a potion.

I did email United Chemical over the weekend, so I'll post their response if I get one. I think they should provide more info on the bottle or their web site about the chlorine consumption and/or masking. Was there high chlorine level in my pool all along?

For anyone else researching this, here is some great info about bromine based chemicals and specifically United products:

http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/once-a-bromine-pool-always-a-bromine-pool.html

Here's the key excerpt:"Jock Hamilton, president of United Chemical sells a line of pool specialty chemicals that are based on sodium bromide. He claims that bromide in pool water breaks down rapidly, rather than slowly. Apparently, he's right . . . at least for outdoor pools exposed to sunlight. Let me state it this way: in pools exposed to sunlight, bromine persistence is usually a long-term problem ONLY if the pool is brominated with any form of bromine tabs! If bromine has NEVER been added to an outdoor pools in the form of tabs, shocking the pool (5+ppm of chlorine in a single dose), added on sunny days, will tend to remove the bromine/bromide. However, repeated doses may be needed. "

I got home from work today, and my FC had dropped to 3. Water still looks great and there is no CC. Guess I have to keep shocking until all the bromine is gone. The $20 bottle of pink treat has now cost me well over $100 in chlorine in the past three days, and I'm not done yet. Sheesh. There should definitely be a warning on the label of this product.

Still no response to my inquiry to United.

I had the same issue this year. I found out to late it's a bromine product. I never got a response from united chemical on this. I wound up draining 80% of my pool water. Bleached the sides of the pool to get rid of pink. Refilled and was finally able to get chlorine reading, but needed chlorine every two days. At end of season pink came back, but I closed pool and will drain and clean again before opening. Until last year, I never had an issue with pink.
I'm also having an issue the last few years with black greasy substance forming on my skimmer walls. I live near a highway and feel its exhaust in the air doing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.