I thought I beat my pink mold problem a few weeks ago, but came home last night to find a bit of pink on a vertical strip on my steps, maybe 10 inches long. It was late and dark, so after brushing off the mold and inspecting the entire pool and not finding any other visible signs of a problem, I added a bottle of 12 percent bleach and went to bed.
I had a bottle of United Chemical Pink Treat that was dropped off by the pool tech a few weeks ago. I was hesitant to use it because I did not want to create any new problems. But after keeping my FC between 5 to 7 for the past few weeks, how could the pink mold return?
To eradicate the pink mold the first time around, I shocked to 35 FC and kept it there for several days, and then kept FC above 12 for about a week). Since I have a high cya problem, I have not let FC drop below 5 since then. Now this mini bloom. I figured I needed to do something drastic.
So I decided to try the Pink Treat tonight. First I vacuumed and backwashed. Then I distributed the Pink Treat and brushed the walls as directed (although there was no mold or algae visible anywhere in the pool and the water has been crystal clear). Next I added 2 bottles of 12 percent bleach and 3 bags of cal hypo. Water turned an odd shade of yellowish green. Went to dinner.
When I got home, water looked clear. I tested. Before I started the treat process, my FC was 8.4 and CC less than 1. Now, I'm getting a reading of FC 3.6 and CC 1.4. What?! I have not had any kind of chlorine demand of late. Does anyone know if the Pink Treat masks chlorine levels? I know I used another chemical by the same company (stain treat), and a few hours later, my FC reading plummeted. I later read on their web site that Stain Treat masks chlorine levels. But it doesn't say anything on their web site about Pink Treat masking FC.
I added some bleach tonight and have to get more tomorrow. If this chemical (Pink Treat) masks chlorine, does anyone know for how long?
If it has created a chlorine demand, does anyone know how long that will last? I've read here it turns your pool into a bromine pool. I'm not sure what that means.
I'm hoping this is just a temporary issue. My FC should have been at least 15, after adding all that bleach. And as I said, there had been no chlorine demand prior to today. Believe me, I test morning noon and night. I would have seen a problem creeping up. Worst summer ever since becoming a pool owner. Frustrating.