Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates and TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates and TA

Where is most peoples TA level when you have borates?
    Is there any need to have any TA since borates are a pH buffer? In my case that would not be possible since I have high TA fill water.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates and TA

The TA level is usually set at a level that reduces carbon dioxide outgassing to reduce the rate of pH rise. That level depends on the pool, but it's usually in the 60-80 ppm range for pools and 40-50 ppm for spas.

There is still need for TA to saturate the water with calcium carbonate in plaster pools and a higher CH and/or pH target may be needed if the TA is lower. You also need some TA for pH buffering against a drop in pH since the borates buffer is stronger at higher pH but not at lower pH. The risk is low if you don't have any net acidic chemicals or other acidic sources.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. Thank you.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

My TA always stays between 70-80 ppm since borate addition. Best chemical addition I've ever made!
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997