Speed Stir is worth the money!!!

I don't have the SamplerSizer but after practice a can flip the vial with one flip to get to 10ml for the FC test :D. I will probably buy one next time I need a refill on something.

Yeah, I bought the SampleSizer because I wanted better repeatability. I'm fine with reading a meniscus and getting the sample size close enough each time. I just thought the sizer would be fun to use and great way to get a consistent sample size.

Plus I used to do some aluminum anodization and I love anodized Al tools...they look cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Canada the Taylor K-2006 kit is roughly double the price in the US and the TF test kits are not available.

Spending the extra money on the speed stir is an even harder sell.

I finally broke down and ordered it with my last reagent purchase a few weeks ago. It is totally worth it.

In Canada the Taylor K-2006 kit is roughly double the price in the US and the TF test kits are not available.

Spending the extra money on the speed stir is an even harder sell.

I finally broke down and ordered it with my last reagent purchase a few weeks ago. It is totally worth it.

Yeah, and the SampleSizer was nice too. Just fill the tube, put the SampleSizer in. Remove SampleSizer and, VIOLA!, you have a perfectly repeatable sample size every time....

The only downside to all this ease and efficiency is that now it takes less time which means I have to drink my beer faster and I have less of an excuse when the wife pokes her head out the back door and asks me how much longer I will be....the downside of progress I suppose....

I was like the OP - I was too cheap to buy it at first but now I am glad that I did - even at the inflated prices that it goes for in Canada. The best test is the TA test to go from green to pink. My 5 year old daughter loves doing "science" with me when we do the pool tests. "Daddy, is it time to do our science now?"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My kids are still small enough that I can trick them into thinking the tests tell me if they pee'd in the pool. When the TA test goes from green to red, they all freak out and start blaming each other....it's hysterical to watch. I need to post a video of it one of these days.

I would like to revive this thread as I am new to the game and quickly realized that I need an easier way to gather the water samples. From this thread I gathered that the Speed stir is mandatory, which I bought with my test kit, thankfully. Its a cool toy.

Second, getting the levels right in the daily TC/pH thingy is a pain, I am going to try and find that syringe from this thread, pictured above. I will try my local pharmacy first.

Third, I am going to Home Depot today to get the 1/2 inch clear tubing and the nylon ball (on/off) valve to help me pull a sample without getting my arm wet. Great idea!!

Fourth, order the sample sizer.

Question, can I put a large sample in a plastic cup, take it inside and then use the tools to pull samples out of the cup? I was also thinking about getting one of those suction bulbs that the hospital "gave" us with each kid ($10k) that we brought home. :)

The levels don't have to be exact in the colorblock. Next time you test, try this experiment: add two extra drops of the reagent. The pH may get deeper, but it'll be the same shade. The yellow won;t get any darker. If the amount of indicator doesn;t matter, why would the amount of water?

I just use a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe as a pipette when the water's too cold to make reaching in unpleasant. Dip, cap with thumb, lift, release. I use a 2 cup plastic measuring cup with a spout to hold my sample and carry it over to the patio table to do my testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.