Speed Stir is worth the money!!!

Question - what color are the built in LEDs and does that color a affect your ability to see an end point?

I am, like many males, slightly red-green color blind (I can't pass those stupid color dot charts at the eye doctor). The way I do the pH test is that I check the color at hip height with my back to the sun light and then I use the acid demand reagent (R-0005) to see how the color changes. It helps to see the transition from red to yellow-orange as the pH drops from the R-0005

It would be nice if there were a different color option for pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To further expound on this...48% of all males that are color blind, are color blind in reds and greens. I too, would like a different color for the PH test.

Many people really don't understand what color blindness actually means. Many think that we that are color blind don't see the colors. The fact is, we see the colors differently than a non-color blind person. So my red will be different than the actual color of red seen by a non-color blind person.

One out of 100 males are color blind, whereas 1 out of 100,000 females are color blind. It just isn't fair.

To further expound on this...48% of all males that are color blind, are color blind in reds and greens. I too, would like a different color for the PH test.

Many people really don't understand what color blindness actually means. Many think that we that are color blind don't see the colors. The fact is, we see the colors differently than a non-color blind person. So my red will be different than the actual color of red seen by a non-color blind person.

One out of 100 males are color blind, whereas 1 out of 100,000 females are color blind. It just isn't fair.

Do you have a link for that 48% figure? No doubting you just asking for future reference.

It sure is worth the money! At first, I resisted buying the speed stir because I came here to save money on pool maintenance after being pool-stored.

But then I decided to buy it after losing count of drops due to needing to manually stir after every drop. Now I just concentrate on counting the number of drops and the color changes without giving myself carpal tunnel.

It's something I heard a long time ago and it has just stuck in my memory banks.

Gotta love Wikipedia -

The genes that produce photopigments are carried on the X chromosome; if some of these genes are missing or damaged, color blindness will be expressed in males with a higher probability than in females because males only have one X chromosome (in females, a functional gene on only one of the two X chromosomes is sufficient to yield the needed photopigments).[2]

^ Carlson, Neil R. (2007). Psychology: The Science of Behaviour. New Jersey, USA: Pearson Education. p. 145. ISBN 978-0-205-64524-4.

That explains the 48% figure - men only have one X chromosome from mom so therefore you'd expect men to be more highly susceptible to it.....

Ok ladies, no need for the snarky comments about men and defective genes.... :p

Ok, ok.....after the incessant brow beating I've received from this thread :p I have finally ordered my SpeedStir!!!

I'm now in the "kid during Christmas" mode ....

Welcome to...

aladdin-quote-a-whole-new-world.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
that's CooL !!!

the Speed Stir is absolutely worth it BTW !!!!!!!!!

makes testing the water faster, easier & think it's more effective when mixing the reagents

Yeah. Cost about $7 worth of PVC parts. Now when I take water samples, I don't have to submerge my arm up to my shoulder to make sure I'm getting a good sample. I just close the valve, stick the tube in the deep end pointing away from the wall, open the ball valve and up comes my deep water sample. I close the valve and pull up the tube, invert and open the valve again to let the water into a sample bottle. I then sit on my back patio with a cool beer and do my tests.

I used a hose barb on the end so that the water sample would flow nicely into my sample bottle without a lot of splashing or bubbles.

I should be seeing my SpeedStir next week.

That sample stick is genius!

When I bought our TF-100, I also bought the speed stir. Can't imagine testing without it. My boys think it's a really cool gadget. :)

Naaah!!! I'm just standing on the shoulders of TFP giants. I'm sure I saw or read something about this on one of the threads. I just added a ball valve and hose barb because I'm too lazy to cover the hole in the PVC tube with my thumb....

Still, it's a great idea. :)

I do something similar for my daily testing. I found an unused 10 ml syringe, probably from one of the kids medicines, and use that to fill the small 5 ml vials. I either get the ph tube too high, or the chlorine tube too high. The syringe fills both to the right mark.

Goodness! It's gonna be great. I ordered a second calibrated Taylor vial for mine because the chlorine only vial with TF-100 likes to make my stir bar go crazy. The nub on the bottom throws it off.

Unfortunately I'm on kid duty tonight while wife is off on a night-shift so I either have to wait until tomorrow afternoon or do some midnight pool water analysis after the kiddos go to sleep.....hmmmmmm, I've always wondered what my TA, FC and CCs were at night......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.