Speed Stir is worth the money!!!

Next time I re-up on my reagents, I'm definitely buying a SpeedStir. I'm tired of throwing out my arm every time I have to shake the heck out of the sample tube to get the DPD powder to dissolve for the FC/CC test...
While the SpeedStir is nice for that test I find it really shines for the CA test. It makes it so much easier to tell when the color changes.

While the SpeedStir is nice for that test I find it really shines for the CA test. It makes it so much easier to tell when the color changes.

Yep. I just like the idea of being able to continuously add reagent drops without having to stop, recap and swirl. Some folks are good at holding the tube, squeezing out the drops and swirling all at the same time. I'm not that good and I'd likely just splash the test solution all over myself.

Plus, having worked in chemistry labs all my life, it drives me nuts not having a stir plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question - what color are the built in LEDs and does that color a affect your ability to see an end point?

I am, like many males, slightly red-green color blind (I can't pass those stupid color dot charts at the eye doctor). The way I do the pH test is that I check the color at hip height with my back to the sun light and then I use the acid demand reagent (R-0005) to see how the color changes. It helps to see the transition from red to yellow-orange as the pH drops from the R-0005

It would be nice if there were a different color option for pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hold up the tube to the sky too..works better for me that way.

Tried it. I found it worked ok for me at low pH colors but went too purple on me at 7.8-8.0 where I could not tell them apart.

I went over to my pavers which are brown and reddish colored and that actually gave me the right contrast for all colors.

I'll say it again, I sure wish there was a different choice in pH color indicators at the 6.8-8.0 range.

I use the speed-stir both with the light off and the light on.......simply to see if I notice any different results.....I don't

Keep in mind the drops based tests are not so much a change from red to blue (for example) but rather a color change who's change is carried to completion. It is when the last drop has no affect on the color of your test solution.......then the color change is complete.....not before.

So it is the COMPLETION of a color change.......not the color change itself.

I use the speed-stir both with the light off and the light on.......simply to see if I notice any different results.....I don't

Keep in mind the drops based tests are not so much a change from red to blue (for example) but rather a color change who's change is carried to completion. It is when the last drop has no affect on the color of your test solution.......then the color change is complete.....not before.

So it is the COMPLETION of a color change.......not the color change itself.

Yeah, I don't typically have a problem with end-point detection. The problem is pH. It's a strict color gradation which can be very subjective and hard for those with color blindness. I typically ask my wife to double check my color determination just to be sure. I also use the acid demand reagent to force the pH down to see what colors I transition to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.