Pool & Tanning Ledge water level

RonS

Aug 22, 2014
Hollywood, MD
Brand new Pool owner here with some issues. As a matter of fact, we're just now getting ready to pour concrete. So we have two boddies of water, the main pool is a 16x40 fiberglass pool with a semi-circle tanning ledge 8'x16'x10". (see attachments for pools & plumbing). Both pools are running through the same system and I'm having some issues controlling the water in the tanning ledge, either fills up or drains, depending on the positioning of the valves. From my research, I understand that one solution is to use an "overflow" line from the the tanning ledge to the pool, or a automation system that runs both pools separate. I don't really want to use an overflow line because I think that would keep the water level way too low and an automation system (+8 valves) would be really expensive.
Is there another solution to this problem? I wouldn't be opposed to running the tanning ledge "lean" (as in, draining) when filtering but I also do not want to run my pump dry. Would putting a check valve on the intake side of the tanning ledge do the trick? So in my mind, the way it would work is the pump turns on and slowly circulates the water out of the small pool. When the water level falls below the drains, the check valve closes the intake until enough water is returned into the tanning ledge to open up the valve.
Just FYI, the plumbing description is... on the right is intake (from right) spa, shallow skimmer, deep skimmer, main drain and on the left are returns (from middle) main return, shallow, middle, and deep return, and spa return.
Any advice would be appreciated... please don't mind the mess!
V/R,
Ron

Attachments

• 20140820_170817_resized.jpg
    20140820_170817_resized.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20140820_170833_resized.jpg
    20140820_170833_resized.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 93
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Is there no line connecting the ledge to the pool directly? If not, then I am not sure you will ever get this to work correctly with common pump and filter. A check valve like you describe is not going to work.

It is just not going to be possible to set the suction valve and the return valve to the tanning area to move EXACTLY the same amount of water. Even if you did initially, as the filter starts to clog and the skimmers, etc collect debris, that is going to change the relative flow rates.

Generally in a pool/spa setup, you must have a spillover flow from the spa to the pool or an equalizer line between them to both mix the chemicals and prevent the spa from emptying and sucking air into the pump.

Honestly, I am surprised that any pool builder would design and build this setup as it is just unlikely to ever work right.

I have a wading pool that is connected to my main pool with a wall at the water level. I have a valve on the main drains of the wading pool that I can regulate the flow of the water. There is a return in the wading pool shared with the other returns of the pool and spa. I have the main drain valve adjusted so I have a small over flow into the pool from the wading pool. I could open the wading pools main drain valve slightly more such that no water flows into the pool if I wanted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.