Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad plaster or bad plastering?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bad plaster or bad plastering?

Purchased our house 6 weeks ago, first time pool owner. Everything has been great, as the pool has been maintained by TFP methods from day 1.

When we viewed the property, I mentioned to the realtor that I was concerned about the state of the plaster. He of course said don't worry. Being a newbie and a worryer, I thought I'd get a second opinion or two. The house and pool were built in 1980, don't know if its been replastered.

Hopefully the pics show the imperfections. Is this down to bad plastering or a previous chemical imbalance? Should I be

Thanks
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bad plaster or bad plastering?

I can not see anything that wrong ... a little mottling, but that can be pretty normal in darker plaster.

How does it feel? I suppose it could be come calcium scaling as well which would be a chemistry problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. It feels perfectly smooth.
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, hard to say if the plaster was not well blended or if the install was not perfect. As I said, some variation in colored plaster in nearly inevitable.

What would you do if it was bad plaster or plastering? You did not have it installed and have no idea how old it is ... just be happy the pool looks clear and the surface is smooth
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The mottling discoloration is mainly a cosmetic issue, and could be due to improper plastering. It appears to be typical white pool plaster.
    At this point - if the pool is more than two years old and out of warranty - there is nothing to worry about or do about it.
    Just maintain the chemistry as TFP recommends (balanced SI), and the plaster will last many more years.