Aqualogic all systems appear fine, diagnostics ok, no warning lights on - no chlorine

Hello, I have reviewed the other threads here similar to this one. I have tried some of the fixes suggested, and considered algae etc. Here is a brief synopsis.

The pool is a 60000L in ground, vinyl liner, always salt water.

I covered the pool while I was going to be away and turned the salt generator off overnight as the Chlorine was bordering on high prior to covering. That was last Friday. I wrote myself a note to turn the thing back on Saturday am, but I forgot.

I opened the pool on Monday after work and the water was cloudy, I couldn't see the bottom at 9ft.

I immediately remembered the swg and turned it back on. I have had high stabilizer issues all summer due to an error on my part, and have been working to lower it. The last water test was 96ppm so I have been using un stabilized shock. I took a dip test and the water showed 0 chlorine. I took a sample of water to the store for a test, and it showed 1.0 fcl no combined, and 54ppm stabilizer. I purchased a 454g bag of Aqua un stabilized and shocked it.

I left it uncovered over night and the water cleared by about half. I did a dip test the next morning and still the strips read '0'. I have an old drip test so I conducted one and it appears to be 1.0-1.5. The stabilizer on the pad shows low.

I turned the chlorine generator up to 50% and checked the next day = '0'.

I turned the chlorine generator up to super chlorinate in the morning the next day, and when I got home from work checked '0'. however the water is fairly clear, only slightly cloudy. The liquid test shows 1.5 or so chl. I vacuumed and added algaecide. (I add 200ml of Algae400 every week on Sundays).

I ran all the diagnostics on the Aqualogic and everything is within spec. It says it is generating, and I even tried the loosening the end of the cell and taking pool water straight from the cell with the generator on super chlorinate. I actually got a reading on the dip strip and the liquid when I did that, close to 3.0) I replaced the thermistor in May (it is fine but was pretty hot to the touch, not sure if that is normal, and I have another one If that is not normal).

I covered the pool before bed last night, and left the salt generator running at 50% and hoped for the best. And still no chlorine detected on the strips. I am now cleaning the salt cell though it looked pretty clean when I checked it. It is in it's 2.5 season (purchased it half way through the summer of 2012). I am doubtful that this will resolve the issue.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forums.

You need to add some liquid chlorine before you have an full out algae bloom. Turn you generator up to 100% and take two samples one directly from the output from the return, and another far from the returns. If they're the same reading then the SWCG cell may be shot. If they're different then you know the SWCG is working.

You may want to consider SLAM at this time since you've gone below the recommended FC level for your CYA level.

So I'm still working on the pool. Went to the pool store and got another water test, FC is .34, TC.58 and CC is .24. The CYA is 54ppm. I shocked the pool again with a non stabilized shock and left the generator at 50%. That was last night. Here 24 hours later we are still showing very low FC, but at least we are now getting a hint of purple on the strip test. I got new drip bottles and it's hard to tell if the reading is .5 or 1.5. the colours are so similar. I was wondering why TFP recommends a CYA of 70-80 with salt generators. When the LPS recommends 30-50 and the pool test print out has readings between 30 and 100. If the problem is due to low CYA I have some stabilized shock that I could use. I have been avoiding this since my ultra high 146 CYA reading in late June.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.