Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How many LED's to get

1. Back To Top    #1

How many LED's to get

In the planning and ordering stages of new project. I am getting mixed answers from people and I though this would be the appropriate place to ask this question. How many LED lights to get, 1 or 2? Pool will be small kidney shape 24-26 feet long, and at its widest 14. I could do one LED in the deep end positioned straight across from the shallow end steps running the length of the pool, or put one in both the shallow and deep end on the sides. Would 1 be bright enough? It is my understanding that 1 LED should be able to light up to lengths of 30-32 feet?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many LED's to get

The conventional wisdom is that more light is always better. I think 1 will struggle...I'd do two in that pool, both on the same side as you suggest.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I have two in my kidney. One under the diving board, one in the shallow end. Pool builder spec'd two lights, which I think was a good decision, but it probably depends on the light which is used.

If you have a light in mind, what does the manufacturer suggest? I believe my manual (long since thrown out) suggested two lights for a kidney, and specified the locations.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

4. Back To Top    #4

Go with at least 2 to give you more even and uniform lighting. LED's use very little power so maybe even consider 3? It's a lot easier to remove a light later than to add a light later.
    19K IG PebbleSheen, Hayward 1.0HP TriStar, Hayward 7220 DE Pro-Grid, AquaLink RS4, 2x Jandy 2444 JVAs, 5X Jandy 15W Nicheless LEDs, Polaris 3900, Hayward H250FDP Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

i have a rather large pool, and have 1 400w eq Pentair 5G and FWIW its plenty bright... for me, but i wasnt looking for my pool to be blinding... but yea, 2 would certainly make the light more evenly distributed
    40,000 gallon ig gunite, Pentair Challanger Century Centurion 2.2 HP Pump, FNS 60 DE filter, Polaris 280, Century Centurion 3/4 HP Booster Pump, Attached ig spa - 1HP Centurion pump - Dual non functioning blowers

6. Back To Top    #6

With light you also need to consider your surroundings. Such as street lights, landscape lighting, etc. We live in the middle of nowhere, we have one 200w 12 V incandescent light in a 12 x 30 IG pool and it is plenty. Light is on a short end and my stairs are on the short end and are lit up like the Vegas strip.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

7. Back To Top    #7

You are going to get a lot opinions on lights. Two things most agree on:

1. LEDs are not as strong as incandescent.

2. Face the lights away from the house or main seating area.

I would go with two lights along the side of the pool -- one oriented towards shallow one deep.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall