Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get all the sand

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get all the sand

I have a Polaris 280 that runs about 10 hours a day, and I can never seem to get all the sand out of the pool. It usually collects in the shallow end, on the sides, and on the steps/tanning ledge, so I push it to the deep end. I empty the bag on the cleaner every couple of days and it will have a decent size clump of dirt but doesn't seem like it is getting nearly all of it. When I watch the cleaner roll by the dirt it doesn't look like it's vacuuming it, just kind of spraying it off the floor of the pool. Any advice how to make the cleaner more effective? There is still fresh sand around the pool since it was only installed last year, but it is at a lower elevation and I can't imagine that much of it is blowing in the pool that the cleaner just can't keep up.

I'm a new pool owner so bear with me, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can't get all the sand

The most common cause is that it is not sand but rather dead algae that is falling to your pool floor.

Can you post a set of current test results?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forums.

Hope you don't have a cracked lateral.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you tried touching/picking it up? Are you sure it's sand?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

26,000 gallon. SWG, plaster. 4800 ppm salt (unsure of this result because it wasn't this high last time and it's rained a lot sense then....) vs manufacturer recommendation of 4000. pH = 7.8 (haven't added acid in a few days). FC = 4. CC = 0. CYA = 80. Alkalinity = 50. CH = 450.

I'm not sure it's sand. It feels like it and I get clumps of what looks like mud in the vacuum bag. Could very well be dead algae, but I have it even when my levels seem perfect. Could it be some sort of tree pollen? I live next to a forest.

Attached a couple of pictures, but they aren't too clear. photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Thanks for the help.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It's all guesswork without test results but the chances are quite good it is dead algae and you need to SLAM your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the same thing in my above ground right now and its dead algae. I agree with duraleigh.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you have a lot of stone work, or flagstone coping? The type of soft flagstone we get in Texas doesn't seem to be a good mix with salt systems and can cause sand in the pool as the salt slowly wears it away.
    19,000 gal aqua blue pebble sheen, 3.5-7 ft. depth, chiseled flagstone coping, spillover spa, raised back wall with stacked stone face including two columns and curved wall water feature with three 18" sheer descents, two bubblers on 5' x 10' suntanning shelf, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed, Pentair FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU, Pentair Legend, Rainbow 320 chlorinator (now unused), K-2006 test kit.