SWG has been ordered...what is my next step?

So I ordered a SWG for my pool and it should be here in the next few days. The questions is, do I need to do anything to the pool to prep it? Do I continue all the same maintainacne up until the new SWG is up and running? When do I put the initial dose of salt in? Is it all at once or do I do it over a few days?

Thanks for the info.

Test your water with a good test kit.
Get it all adjusted prior to turning on your swg. ( I use TFP recommended settings )
Use salt chart to find out how many bags of salt you need , buy salt.
If your filter is dirty ( high pressure ) clean it prior to dumping salt.
have all the tools needed to install SWG, if DIY. Pvc glue etc.
Study the wiring have it figured out before install.
What SWG did you order?

Make sure you CYA is good. If too high the only way to lower it is to drain water.

You don't want to drain half your pool after you put salt in !!! ( you will have to buy more salt )
Watch out adding that powder stabalizer from the pool store !! I overdosed my pool buy following the label , had to drain half the water and salt.. Now i only use the liquid stabilizer.

Test your current salt level and then add more when ever you want. Maintain all the chemistry the same, although you will want to raise the CYA once the SWG is working.

Thank for the prompt responses. I purchased the Aqua Rite t-15. I also just purchased the Taylor K-1766 test kit for the salt level and will be resting the salt prior to doing anything. Thanks for the advice on the pool filter as I didn't think to start with a clean filter.

Concerning the salt, I have calculated that I need 10.5 bags of salt. I will only out 9 in and then add the remainder if needed. Do I put the salt in all at once or over a few days? Regarding my chemicals, my CYA is 90 and all other readings are good.

Thanks.

I put all but 2 bags in my pool three days before I was going to install my SWG. I was ready to turn it on when installed. Make sure you do the current salinity level test before doing the calculation. Unfortunately, I had relied on a pool store test to give me mine Overshot my projected level by about 400 ppm. I now have the Taylor -K1766 test kit. That was back in March and has just recently gotten below 4,000 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.