New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern CA

Aug 8, 2014
Menifee/CA
I posted another thread a few weeks ago, but wanted to start from scratch from the very start of the process now that I've done some research and collected info.

Anyway, I live in Southern California in a City called Menifee in Riverside County.

Our dream is to turn this:

DSCN9521_zpsc66a2614.jpg

Into this:
IMG_0256_zpse9dda2fe.jpg

With a few alterations including lots of deck space and water feature/ fire pit in front.

It's 3 different elevations, the pool is actually 2' higher than the patio, and then the rear of the pool will be an additional 2' raised. It's the best way I've come up with to take advantage of my nemesis. . .the slope. I've hated that slope since we moved in, it just collects weeds, so I figure, the kids get a pool, the wife gets lots of entertaining space, tons of deck space, and me. . .I get a bigger backyard and less slope maintenance.

So thanks to some research and a few great people on this forum, I've decided that our pool build is going to be an owner/build. I have moderate construction background, was a plumber when I was younger, I understand the basics, but was still a little nervous about doing it because you get brainwashed into thinking that you need a builder because such a large investment must be overseen by a pro right? Maybe that is true, but I'm a gambler and since I'm self employed and work at home, I can oversee this project.

I'd like to extend my gratitude to bulldogz400 for a lot of great advice and spillmar who just messaged me and I'm getting ready to email you.

OK, so up to this point I've spent the last 4 weeks researching the design we want and designed the plot plan myself. When I decided that I would end up doing it myself, I located pooleng in Anaheim and sent them the drawings of what I wanted. They're a super easy group to work with, even though I did have a bit of a hiccup, which isn't too serious.

Since a few of you inspired me to do this myself, I'm going to keep a journal of the build, and maybe I'll encourage someone else, or teach a valuable lesson not to do it yourself. We shall see.

AUGUST 21 2014

Today I received the plans from pooleng. Everything great, 2 copies, a stamped copy. . . and a photocopy. I get all my stuff together to drive on down to apply for my permit to build, when I get halted in my tracks. Riverside County needs 3 stamped copies! Whoa. . .I get pooleng on the phone and they made a mistake. They thought my house was in LA County for some reason (some secretary probably misfiled it). They tell me they're going to overnight it to me free of charge, so I should be doing that part tomorrow.

Through a few people I got the name of a pool plumber not too far from me. I called him up and he came by, seemed like a real nice guy, but didn't offer a price. He gave me some references for excavator and a steel guy and told me that he's going to get a price for me by the time I'm ready, and to contact him after I get closer. That seemed fine with me.

I called the ref's. The excavator guy will be coming out tomorrow to give me a bid. Hoping that Spillmar can give me a lead on some other subs, but regardless I'll be contacting at least 2 more for competing bids, and also need to take some time to research who I'm considering.

So far so good.

Re: New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern California

thanks guys, we're also very excited. Just waiting for the delivery of my revised details and then heading down to the county to apply for the permit.

Quick question:

Anyone have any idea where you find these types of accents?

01_zpsfb160cb9.png

I'm not concerned with trying to use the same thing, but I do like the way they look and the only thing I can find by searching online is lion faces, fleur de lis, sconces etc. . .

Do you think these were custom cast? Are they made of cement? I've seen some different brands, pentair makes wallspring accents, but not concerned with buying a brand for something like this, I'm wondering if I can fabricate this myself, I'm halfway handy, I'm just trying to figure out how exactly I would need to design it for it to work. Anyone have a recommendation or similiar experience creating a water feature like this?

When I was plumbing I installed industrial trench drains a few times, and the body is cast nearly identical as these water features, I almost get the sense that I could take a few of those and cut them to size and fix a 3/4" fitting for the plumber to connect to?

Anyone get creative with this type of feature?

It's less about money, and more about trying to get the look I like. I'd prefer the more modern look in this pic over a lot of the pentair ones I've seen.

Re: New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern California

After searching for the last few hours I found a precast concrete company who sells scuppers in the size I need in a choice of colors. Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for at a very fair price. I'm going to order them I'll post the info and pics when they get here.

These would save me a fortune off what the PB wanted to charge for each one.

Holy cow, excavation guy came and wants 5k to grade, dig and 1100 demo. That seems pretty excessive. I was thinking much much less. Time to get some quotes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Holy cow, excavation guy came and wants 5k to grade, dig and 1100 demo. That seems pretty excessive. I was thinking much much less. Time to get some quotes.

Very nice design and great use of the challenging slope. Yes that's too high considering you are keeping much of the excavated material for grade fill.

Good luck with the excavation. We have about 6" of depth for our tanning shelf. We went that depth so we could put a chaise on the shelf and so the dogs could lay on it. The one thing we didn't pay attention to until after the excavation was the width of the pool "minus" the tanning shelf. Meaning - we ended up with a very narrow swim lame (sort of in a lap pool fashion) which was unintended. It will work out fine because of our needs and because the deep end of the pool has a wider area for other activities but I do have some concern if we ever intended to sell (we don't, but still). Especially since we have enough yard to have as wide of a pool as we wanted. I think the original design you posted to emulate is amazing and can't wait to see your pool take shape. - Karen

OK, ground has been broken.

When I met with the excavator yesterday he said I'd be gambling if I was thinking his bobcat with bucket could break my retaining wall. The stakes weren't that severe, if he was able to break it with his bucket, I'd save a few hundred, if he couldn't, I'd have to rent a breaker attachment for 200.00. The disadvantage to not getting it before the dig is that we'd lose at least an hour of time driving to get the equipment. I rolled the dice and lost, ohh well, no biggie.

So he started with demo, then grading the land and cutting the slope.

01_zps3ee1fdaa.jpg

Tomorrow I have a 10 wheeler doing the hauling. I found a spot about a mile away willing to take the dirt, and I'm hoping that I can just keep the truck going back and forth now that we have a nice stockpile of dirt. Found a decent deal on the hauling, 60/hr, so far I'm looking ok on my budget.

Also, last night, I made a last minute change on the depth of the pool for the baja shelf. Going with a layout like this instead

01_zps6482693e.png

As I was looking at the layout last night, it occurred to me that there would be a safety hazard if the shelf extended the entire 18' because of the 2' elevation above the rear of the pool. This design is safer and gives us lots of seating space as my wife likes to entertain and such.

Awesome! I really like how your going to place the pool on the hill. I am in Menifee to. Just starting the wish list phase so we can start drawing. Looking to do an owner/builder project to, may have to get with you on who your using in the area and your experience with them.

For sure, I'll post each phase of the build so you can get an idea of how each trade did and who I liked.

Spillmar gave me a whole list of numbers and I'm finding many of my own so I should have some decent referral I hope. I feel good about it so far, the excavation worried me the most because of the simple fact that it involves heavy machinery, a lot more can go wrong.

Steel today!

I had a bad experience with the excavator, I really won't get into it all, but I will say this. If you happen to be doing an OB in Southern Cal and you interview an excavator named Walter from Hesperia, avoid him or make sure you have someone to supervise him that can speak spanish(though my neighbor is Mexican and couldn't get through to him either, he's very stubborn and won't listen and it really caused me some issues). He not only did poorly on the shape (have to reduce the size by 6" on each size. . .but he also screwed up the depth and made the spa too small (not to mention the steel guys have to re-do his forms cause they're off).

Luckily, my pool is raised from my house elevation, so it's not a huge issue to raise it an additional 6" to get my depth correct, but in most circumstances that would be a mini disaster.

So, the steel guys were a little strange. I called the guy yesterday and sent him some pics to get a price.

He gave me a rough estimate of 2k and maybe less he figured, and said he'd be here at 7 to look at the hole in person and give me an exact price.

I texted him back "7 in the morning or night?".

He wrote back "in the morning, I"ll bring materials and crew and if you like the price we'll do it immediately".

Hmmm. . .maybe this is standard procedure, but I've never done that, but good way to get work I suppose. His name is Jose and they arrive around 7:30, and Jose takes some measurements and looks around and discovered the problems with the hole which will cost more than he estimated. He says 2300 is the least he can do it for, so after a few back and forths and knowing that he's already here and wants to do the job, we settle on 2100. I was determined to not spend more than 2k for steel, but I do see quite a bit of extra labor, the 100 seems fair to me.

Here's the before shot.

IMG_0406_zps24d43f02.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.