New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern CA

Re: New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern California

Beautiful work! Made my day to come back here and see how much progress you've made as well as how good it's looking.

Keep it up, going to be awesome.

Re: New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern California

Very impressive work on the steps - slowly but surely your pool build is coming along and it's beautiful. You will take great pride in it - that's for sure - Karen

A little progress, taking it slow because I've worked out a deal with someone who's doing all the hardscape as a side job(just two guys). It's worth the wait as it's allowed my budget to remain on target, saved about 50% from what the lowest contractor bid was. It was the right decision, so far so good. . .

image_zpsc46b51fe.jpg

image_zps60385641.jpg

image_zps062a3d12.jpg

image_zps35a3b213.jpg

Such talent. Looks amazing!

This is incredible! It's so very beautiful. I love all the different levels and the stone. I hope I can have something nice someday! If not, I'll just keep looking at pictures of your yard. :)

A few better pic's, my phone keeps distorting the colors for some reason, these are a little better

DSCN9538_zpsfe722980.jpg

DSCN9537_zps1260debc.jpg

Yes, I know it's a mess, but should be cleaned up soon.

I'm very excited see this this wrap up. I just looked back at your inspiration photo and you are going to surpass it!

I'm very excited see this this wrap up. I just looked back at your inspiration photo and you are going to surpass it!

That's very kind of you to say! We still have quite a bit more to do, but it doesn't feel quite as overwhelming now as it did a few months ago. I probably bit off a little more than I could chew on this one, but just plugging away, and now we can see the finish line!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

This is great and exactly what we are looking to do. We are getting estimates on an in-ground pool but love this. What is the estimated cost for something like this? We are neighbors...our new home is in Lake Elsinore;)

A few updated pics, but still finishing everything up, so I'll wait to post the entire yard pics as I've got a few more weeks of finishing up (I've taken up the rest of the project myself as a way to occupy my free time).

image_zpstewshfs4.jpg

image_zpsa2rzaqyg.jpg

I was a little nervous that about how the fire would look but it turned out good. I have plumbing experience, so I felt comfortable enough running the gas, but wasn't sure how the burners would work. I've heard stories of low pressure which creates a weak flame, so I upsized my pipe and the results are pretty good.

New member here. I wish i would have found this site sooner for ideas and questions.

This pool turned out great! I'm in lake elsinore and our pool just got finished with plaster and currently being filled but nowhere as nice as this one.

That's OK! You're here now, so that's what matters. Welcome to the forum. Please start a thread and show us your pool, we'd love to see it.

Hey, Nick! Looks really beautiful!!! So glad you're getting near the end, although I imagine it can feel never-ending at times. :)

Btw, what color did you end up going with for the Pebble Tec?

Laura

(P.S. Thanks for the PM about the subs! We've already contacted a lot of them and should be able to start our build soon.)

This is great and exactly what we are looking to do. We are getting estimates on an in-ground pool but love this. What is the estimated cost for something like this? We are neighbors...our new home is in Lake Elsinore;)

I could have saved quite a bit going with concrete over travertine, plaster over pebble tec, but certain upgrades we really wanted, and as you can see, we did more than just a pool. The retaining wall, extra grading, bbq area, 2 gates and wall repair, 70 feet of poured concrete walkway, palmtrees, landscape lights, fire table and surrounding areas added quite a bit to the overall cost, but I'm at about 67k, and figure it'll be just under 70k. It's basically more of a backyard remodel than just a pool build. and we have a pretty big size backyard compared to most track homes you find these days (although nothing compared to my friend spillmar, if you haven't, do a search for his OB).

I spent more than I anticipated, but not even in the ballpark of what the builders were bidding, people get shocked when I show them some of the bids we received. I really think none of the PB's in this area even wanted the job, they bid it like they really didn't want to do it. It's just not a project that's in their comfort zone because I don't think they normally cut into slopes the way I wanted, so they bid it accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, Nick! Looks really beautiful!!! So glad you're getting near the end, although I imagine it can feel never-ending at times. :)

Btw, what color did you end up going with for the Pebble Tec?

Laura

(P.S. Thanks for the PM about the subs! We've already contacted a lot of them and should be able to start our build soon.)

No problem Laura. The color is Caribbean blue, we really like it and don't have any regrets about the color, it's perfect for what we wanted. We weren't sure because since we don't have a PB, we didn't really have any examples to look at in person, just catalogs and pics on the internet, but we did good on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

New member here. I wish i would have found this site sooner for ideas and questions.

This pool turned out great! I'm in lake elsinore and our pool just got finished with plaster and currently being filled but nowhere as nice as this one.

Thank you for the kind words! Getting a new pool built is something to be very proud of and I haven't seen a new pool that wasn't terrific, and I'm sure yours is too! Most people just have dirt and if they're lucky some grass, so having a hole with water in it is the biggest thing!

I was in a bit of a bind when I got the plaster put in because the electrician that was scheduled to come the next day cancelled. It was sort of a mini-emergency because I needed the water flowing for the plaster.

In hindsight, I should have done the electrical before plaster, but I figured this would be ok, except I wasn't counting on a cancellation. Since I was in a bind, I just hopped on craigslist and found someone local who could make it out that same day. Luckily I found someone who seemed to know his stuff, and so I hired him to pull everything and make all the connections.

So everything seemed good, the pump was working and I assumed the rest was ok. After a month, I turned on the swg (saltwater generator), and it wouldn't power up. I checked the fuse, looked good, checked all the connections, looked fine. Couldn't figure out what the **** it was, so I called the pentair tech support number to see if someone there could help me troubleshoot. They weren't much help, the only thing the guy could offer was that it probably wasn't getting power and that I needed to call an authorized service rep. Since I'm a meddling sun of a gun, I figured I'd just read up on it and try and fix it myself.

After reading the specs, I found that the electrician didn't use thick enough wire, he used 16 awg, and it calls for 12-14. He also didn't wire it through the pump like it states. It should be wired through the pump to ensure it only comes on when the pump is on, because otherwise, it'll burn it out if it's running without flow. I'm actually lucky the guy didn't wire it right because otherwise I wouldn't have known that, and would have burned up a 500 dollar unit. So I replaced the wire with a thicker gauge, and junctioned it with the pump. I then said "screw it" and did all the rest of the electrical myself. I was planning on hiring out another electrician to install lights on my rear wall, and run the power out to the bbq area, so instead I just spent the last couple days doing it all myself, which saved me a lot of money I think (those guys are expensive because they know most homeowners are afraid to work with electricity).

It was actually kind of fun since I've never done electrical before, but I used to be a pipefitter, so I worked next to sparky's all day and watched enough to where it really wasn't an issue(at least I hope not lol, hopefully I don't ever find out the hard way). It's just like running irrigation pipe except you've gotta pull wire inside. Mine's actually probably safer than what most electricians would do because I went the extra mile on every part.

Also put in a remote control for the lights so they can change color. You'd figure that the lights would just be able to do that, but the pool industry is smart enough to realize that if they require an external control, that's an extra 200.00 they can make off ya. I did find it for half that price on ebay. Also put up a steel fence across the yard to keep the kids out of the water, just in case the little one ever got outside.

image_zpsbpzzr8fc.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.