Algae after SLAM?

Texgal

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2012
Boerne, Texas
Hello,

Originally we had a big algae bloom and the pool store had us put in 6 gallons of their liquid shock into the pool. It did get rid of the visible algae but every morning we have what I think is dead algae. We have a high CYA of approx 110? (can't measure it over 100 with my new kit) Due to a drought, I can't drain my water until we get a good rain to fill my catchment system.

Since then we have switched to the BBB method. Needless to say, I'm adding a bottle of chlorine almost daily due to the CYA? I've been trying to keep it at 7-8 range. My question is…did I really get rid of the algae or just knock it back? Should I still be seeing algae at the bottom of the pool everyday? If not, should I slam it again? I have no idea how much bleach I would need to get it up to a FC level of 39!

Frustrated

Hi Frustrated Texgal,

No, unfortunately, unless you completed a SLAM process, you did not get it all the way gone. Check out the button at the top - Pool School - and there's tons of information on SLAMming. Good luck to you!

Welcome :wave:

As northrn said, you did not likely get rid of the algae and I am guessing you are letting the FC get too low anyway and allowing it to grow again.

You did not SLAM it correctly the first time, so you can not "slam it again" ;)

What test kit are you using?
If you can, do the dilution test described here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...Kit-Directions?p=203524&viewfull=1#post203524
Then you will better know what your CYA level is which will tell you what your shock FC level is and what your minimum FC level will be after you finish the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

You will need to start to use PoolMath to calculate the dosages for you.

Jason, thank you for the information. I "thought" I had slammed it - We put in 6 gallons of liquid shock from the pool store and if I go to pool math, and put the goal for FC at "39" it recommends 5 gallons and 3 quarts of bleach.
The test I'm using is the TF-100 and the K-1000. Do you suggest a different test kit?
My last test numbers were:
FC 7
CC .5
PH 8.2 (the prior test was 7.2 I was trying to trying to lower TA-but both are back up again)
TA 160
CYA 110
As you can see, it's a mess.
Tomorrow, I will try the dilution test for the CYA, (although adding tap water is kind of confusing)
Pool math originally said to replace 75% of our water. We did lower it some, but not 75%, now it says to replace 55%, ugh. We won't have enough water left if we do that, we need rain, a lot of rain:!:

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the quick reply!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.