I need to find out where my underground plumbing is in order to put in new fence post

Jul 20, 2014
Berks County, PA
Hi,

The pool was put in 25 years ago and so there is certainly no above-ground evidence remaining such as trenches or depressions, etc. I would imagine when the fence company put up my fence after the pool was built, it was easy for them to see where the lines were by the lack of new grass where the trenches were dug. So, I'm at the point now where I need a new fence. I saw a thread here about a divining rod procedure. I've always been skeptical of this but, hey, if it works I'm game. Any other ideas? The fence company obviously does not want to use their post hole machine and wind up going through either a skimmer, return, or optical line. And so that leaves using the hand digger in areas of uncertainty. This really has me worried. I wish there was some way to know for sure where the lines are. I checked my pool blueprint but it only gives a sketch as to plumbing lengths for each line and a rough drawing of where the lines are approximately located relative to the filter - it's not scaled too well. The fence foreman looked at it and deemed it to be of little assistance. Thanks for any suggestions.

A bit different but hopefully it helps. When we installed our fence it was very close to our septic tank and drain field. I asked them to hand dig the posts that were close, they did with no questions asked and at no additional costs to me . Luckily we had no issues. I trusted them a lot and just kept an eye on them when they were close to the septic system. In your situation I would see if they could mark out the fence prior to the installation and hand dig any areas that were of concern to you. On a side note you are relatively close and this is who we used (http://www.akfencing.net/). They did a great job and knocked out 700 feet of fence in one day.

Thanks for the replies. I already have a contractor near our area, but thanks for the link. As for digging down to find out where the lines are, I'd really prefer to avoid that, although as you indicated it is certainly the best way to find out! Using the post hole digger is certainly out of the question for anywhere near the filter and skimmer.

I assume you have PVC lines. If you have copper, a metal detector would help.
Also, I'm not sure if I actually saw this or I'm making it up but what about calling a plumber to come put a special snake in the lines from the pool side that transmits a signal that can be received above ground by a hand-held device? I think they exist... If they don't they should. I think plumbers use them to locate sewer lines/leaks after they leave a house.

I know it is possible to use a little pill that they flush down a toilet to help locate the septic tank.

I like the idea of being able to fish it through the pipe and track it ... although migrating around the PVC 90s is a bit challenging.

When I got out of high school and moved to the west coast, one of my temporary employments was with the water dept. During that summer, they were upgrading a 8 mile stretch of highway and we had to locate all of our services. Some were Iron pipe, some were copper, some where black plastic. For the plastic we would water witch. Our allowance was 18" either way. To water witch, get two copper wires, single strand #6 or #8 gauge, about 18" long. Bend them into an "L" with the leg being about 4 inches long(its not real critical). Hold one in each hand so the long parts of the "L" are slightly down from horizontal and pointing out in front of you. It helps if you lock your elbows to your side to keep them close to horizontal. Walk slowly, when the wires cross the water line is below your body.
This is hard to explain so i found a Youtube video of it being done. I have heard that some people can do it and some cant, has something to do with body chemistry. I have done this extensively and im normally <18" off.
Another option, is renting a roto rooter and pushing the steel spring down into the lines and then using a metal detector to locate the spring might work, depends on the depth of the lines and if you have any hard 90 deg elbows to push it through.

...Also, I'm not sure if I actually saw this or I'm making it up but what about calling a plumber to come put a special snake in the lines from the pool side that transmits a signal that can be received above ground by a hand-held device? I think they exist... If they don't they should. I think plumbers use them to locate sewer lines/leaks after they leave a house.

Yes, now-a-days every plumber who does sewer work has one of these.

Great replies and suggestions! My only concern would be to snake around those sharp bends that I believe are in some of the lines. I know the returns divide from one line into two, so perhaps the one that is the straighter run would be the better choice. I will check with my plumber on this one.

Rigid makes a camera with a locator beacon built into the head that you take a handheld reciever and you can trace the run. It will also tell you a pretty accurate depth measurement. A plumber that does alot of sewer repair work will most likely have this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.