Multiple Pump Problems

Jun 17, 2010
I actually have two problems

First my main pool pump, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP (model number: 300097) @240 volts is acting funny. It starts and runs the filter (recently backwashed) up to 5 lbs of pressure and then shuts down. Some experimenting with a volt meter shows one side of the 220 at 110 volts and the other dead. Did some more experimenting and it looks like the dead side is tripping one of the breakers. I think half of the pump is dead and needs to be replaced.

The other problem is with an old Hayward Super Pump SP2600 (2 HP) @240 volts was just humming when I tried to turn it on. Now it's completely dead. Tried to remove the motor but a couple bolts are frozen on. This is an original from when I bought the house 14 years ago so I think it's time to replace to replace the whole setup.

The pool and spa are separate systems.

Oh, and the Compupool chlorine generator for the pool won't turn on. I think this may be because the breaker on the 240 line keeps blowing and it needs 240 volts to work.

Any insight into what might be going on with the pool would be helpful. I live in Dallas, Texas and it's hot down here so I don't think the water will last long before it starts turning green. I'm thinking a new motor is in order for the pool. I have a second pump on the spa (no filter) that I can run for a while until I figure out what do do there.

Thanks,

RTS

Is the pump and SWG on the same breaker?

There are not two halves to the motor. There is only one winding run on 230v and there should not be a neutral wire. If only one breaker is tripping, then there might be something wrong with the breaker. Normally, 230v breakers (dual) they are tied together with a breaker bar. Is that not the type of breaker you have?

CUTHMRC00011_3_26_TN_001_B.jpg

Is the pump and SWG on the same breaker?

There are not two halves to the motor. There is only one winding run on 230v and there should not be a neutral wire. If only one breaker is tripping, then there might be something wrong with the breaker. Normally, 230v breakers (dual) they are tied together with a breaker bar. Is that not the type of breaker you have?

CUTHMRC00011_3_26_TN_001_B.jpg

The pump and SWG are on the same breaker. Both pumps and the SWG are all on the same breaker.

That is the type of breaker that I have but I removed (or dropped) the breaker bar and did not replace it when I restored the breakers. I also switched the breakers basically testing several combinations with the result that both breakers would trip on the second connection. I have three wires going into the motor. I think it will work in either 120 or 240 mode. It just pulls more amps in 110 vs 220. maybe I'm wrong about that. Heres the motor specs:

Pentair_Superflo_Pump_Motor_Specs-s.jpg

The bar is there so that when one leg trips, which is what normally happens, it shuts off both legs. Eventually, you should probably fix the breaker.

But if it takes a few minutes before it trips the breaker then the issue is probably with the motor and most likely the bearings in the motor. Do you hear any strange noises from the motor like scraping or screeching? If you spin the motor shaft by hand does it feel smooth or do you feel some resistance?

The other problem is with an old Hayward Super Pump SP2600 (2 HP) @240 volts was just humming when I tried to turn it on.
This motor could be a bad capacitor.

The bar is there so that when one leg trips, which is what normally happens, it shuts off both legs. Eventually, you should probably fix the breaker.

But if it takes a few minutes before it trips the breaker then the issue is probably with the motor and most likely the bearings in the motor. Do you hear any strange noises from the motor like scraping or screeching? If you spin the motor shaft by hand does it feel smooth or do you feel some resistance?

This motor could be a bad capacitor.

The breakers were set up correctly with the bar in place when I noticed the problems. They were just operating independently while I was testing. I have them back in the breaker box now with the bar back in place. I just ordered a replacement motor for the pool pump from a local supplier and I will post a follow-up once I get it installed.

I will check the capacitor on the Hayward pump and see if that's the problem. Right now it's not doing anything. No noise or hum. Not anything.

I have been thinking about removing the pool and keep the spa for a couple years now. We don't use it that much and the liner needs to be replaced and it would be nice to have more yard for the dogs. So I may do that and switch the Pentair pump with the new motor to the spa.

So it looks like whatever L2 is wired to in the pump got shorted out and was blowing the breaker.

I got a new pump and wired it up with the original breakers and now everything is working including the spa pump.

I think the issue with the spa pump was that the pool pump was drawing all the power from the one good circuit and there was not enough left over to start the spa pump.

In any case everything is working again. Thanks to mas985 for the input.

Parts (courtesy of poolplaza.com a local dealer in Dallas, TX):

$225.30 B848 (B2848) MGT-60-5112 Magnetek Square Flange Motor1HP, 1.65SF 115/230v
$7.30 PS200 (PS0-200) USS-PS200-4021 Replacement Shaft Seal for Pentair Superflo Pump
$11.30 355619 PEN-355619-4021 Pentair Superlfo Pump Seal Plate O-Ring

Parts Total (after taxes): $264.02

Labor: 6 hours of my life including triage, research, shopping, installation

Maybe not the best deal on parts but less than the local retail chain who's name starts with an "L". Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.