Build in Progress - Houston area

Looking good. That combination of stone is great. We're looking at getting the whale wall brush. Have read good things about it on this forum. - Where is her dog bed??? She's probably too busy watching the ducks to care. - Karen

Pool equipment was started up today. A few problems, hopefully not too difficult to resolve:
The water features (waterfall, weeping wall, and bubblers) were plumbed backwards (so they try to pull air in instead of water currently)
One skimmer had about 3 pounds of clay, polymeric sand, and weeds/dirt in it, and under that a large amount of solid concrete
One return line does not function at all
The spa light doesn't work

Pool is running now continuously for the next few days. We're trying to get the water to happy zone. I did have to jump in today to remove a giant slug of clay that flew out of a return line (a 2" cylinder about 5 inches long) and to unscrew one of water feature inlet covers to see if it was blocked (this was while we were trying to troubleshoot the water feature problems).

Pool equipment was started up today. A few problems, hopefully not too difficult to resolve:
The water features (waterfall, weeping wall, and bubblers) were plumbed backwards (so they try to pull air in instead of water currently)
One skimmer had about 3 pounds of clay, polymeric sand, and weeds/dirt in it, and under that a large amount of solid concrete
One return line does not function at all
The spa light doesn't work

Pool is running now continuously for the next few days. We're trying to get the water to happy zone. I did have to jump in today to remove a giant slug of clay that flew out of a return line (a 2" cylinder about 5 inches long) and to unscrew one of water feature inlet covers to see if it was blocked (this was while we were trying to troubleshoot the water feature problems).

OUCH! Is this correctable?

OUCH! Is this correctable?

I think it is all minor. The plumber came today and resolved all the plumbing stuff (except the gunite in the skimmer business).

He just reversed the lines to the water feature pump at the equipment pad and got a big slug of clay out of the return line that wasn't working. All works great now.

The electrician is scheduled and we created new work for him today because the landscapers cut the bonding wire that runs around the outside of the pool...

I'll have some landscaping pictures in a little while. What a production that was!!

Cuse.....the pool and selections look awesome man!! Those pavers look great with your existing deck and the coping. I wish we had gotten more of the dark pieces of flagstone like you have.

And just FYI, our mini pebble Midnight Blue looked green for the first few days until after the acid bath and we got the chemicals added and everything in balance. Now it looks like we thought it would.

I think it is all minor. The plumber came today and resolved all the plumbing stuff (except the gunite in the skimmer business).

He just reversed the lines to the water feature pump at the equipment pad and got a big slug of clay out of the return line that wasn't working. All works great now.

The electrician is scheduled and we created new work for him today because the landscapers cut the bonding wire that runs around the outside of the pool...

I'll have some landscaping pictures in a little while. What a production that was!!

Good deal! Glad it was easily fixed.

Cuse.....the pool and selections look awesome man!! Those pavers look great with your existing deck and the coping. I wish we had gotten more of the dark pieces of flagstone like you have.

And just FYI, our mini pebble Midnight Blue looked green for the first few days until after the acid bath and we got the chemicals added and everything in balance. Now it looks like we thought it would.

Thanks. I was worried for a long time during design that the different color pavers would look wierd but we're really happy with it!

I'm struggling with the water chemistry right now. The pH is swinging all over and I can't keep chlorine in it (no CYA), so I'm afraid I'm not doing a very good startup of the pebblesheen. Right now, the color is a little more teal than I was expecting and the surface is definitely much rougher than I thought it would be. The water is very hazy and we're still brushing twice daily so hopefully things will get a little better on that front.

Saturday was landscape day. Holy cow this was a production. You know some trees look a lot smaller in a huge tree lot than they do while being driven across your neighborhood street and through your back yard on a crane equipped bobcat! We are beyond thrilled with the landscaping but it was shocking to see these monsters being put in!

Truck arrives:
photo1_zps8afffa55.jpg

First Date Palm being brought in, these things were 8 foot clear trunk in my memory but looking at them now, they are at least 10ft and maybe 12ft. Totally overwhelming in size for us at first!
photo2_zps2db82e5c.jpg

Here comes #2:
photo3_zps94ef81f6.jpg

We also got some queen and pygmy palms for around the spa and a bunch of shrubs and flower bushes for around the waterfall, here's the new look:
photo5_zps698df3bf.jpg

photo4_zpsc74e6df6.jpg

We do have one issue in that the torrential rain we got today caused one of the big boys to start leaning! Talk about scary. They told me these trees weight 6 or 7 thousand pounds! I don't need that crashing down on anything. It seems pretty stable though even though it is leaning. I think they are root-heavy. The nursery is going to be getting back to me tomorrow to get someone out with a crane to straighten it.

Overall the enhancement created by the addition of the landscaping is beyond incredible. I knew landscaping was a big part of the amazing pools I had seen on-line and elsewhere, so we made sure to include a healthy budget for it, but my goodness it is breathtaking to behold!! I'm not sure the pictures give a full accounting of the look and more importantly the feel the new trees have added. Also, they have purpose: shade. If anyone has ready my sun shade design tutorial, you know I was very serious about this aspect of the design. I specifically designed the little "peninsula" or bump-out where the first big palm went for shading purposes. Of course the sun has not been out since we put these guys in so the jury is out on how successful I was, but even if they don't cast a lick of usable shade, it still was worth it!

I have some videos too, anyone know how to link those from photobucket?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! Wow! Wow! - it is gorgeous. You were so smart to include landscaping in your budget as it completes an already beautiful pool. I need to go try out your sun tool - I saw the thread and want the knowledge. Love your backyard! - Karen

Oh wow, that makes such a difference! Beautiful, simply beautiful

Wow! Wow! Wow! - it is gorgeous. You were so smart to include landscaping in your budget as it completes an already beautiful pool. I need to go try out your sun tool - I saw the thread and want the knowledge. Love your backyard! - Karen

CusePool - That is an awesome looking pool and landscaping.

Spectacular! The pool is beautiful and I'm so jealous of those palms!! Looks like a resort!

Thanks everybody! We are loving it. We were swimming yesterday and it was amazing. The difference the landscaping makes is really shocking! The water is clearing up too and with bright sun it looks so much better than cloudy skies/cloudy water that we had for a couple days prior!

I was looking through your build and the pics of the lake in the backyard looked very familiar. I think we're neighbors!!
Anyway, very nice design and great progress. I'm glad to see you chose pavers over decking. Hopefully the PB will work out the minors quickly.

I was looking through your build and the pics of the lake in the backyard looked very familiar. I think we're neighbors!!
Anyway, very nice design and great progress. I'm glad to see you chose pavers over decking. Hopefully the PB will work out the minors quickly.

Yep, we are indeed. I just checked out your build thread and recognized it as one I was looking at while figuring out what we wanted to do. I'll be starting on my "outdoor kitchen" (really more just a grill island) in the next couple weeks. Yours looks awesome!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.