Build in Progress - Houston area

Aug 12, 2014
Friendswood, TX
I recently joined the forum. We signed our contract in mid-May and have been in progress since the excavation on June 20. We are getting close to the end, I hope!

The going in plan was a freeform lagoon style pool with spa that matched well with the existing large paver patio already at the house, not block out our lake view, and accommodate enough (non-view blocking) landscaping to put some amount of shade at least part of the pool throughout the day. Plan for it to be a play pool, kid friendly, adult lounging friendly, and to be a nice relaxing "water feature" for the yard even when not swimming.

We got bids from five companies, but one was way more interested in getting the design how we wanted it and worked hard with us on getting it just right. As you can see, I had several competing requirements and most builders kind of went into a mode where they only sort of tried to meet most of them. If we didn't flip out over their first designs, they started basically phoning it in. I wound up drawing the basic design myself, but the company we settled on worked with me a lot on refining it.

We decided to do pavers for the deck to match the style of our existing patio, but didn't want to continue the darker red/orange/grey color palette. My wife wanted it to be more like a "sandy beach" so we picked a light colored paver. As a result of that, I decided to drop the entire pool down 6" below grade. This created a nice transition to the alternative deck color and lowered all the raised features a little bit to preserve the view. The deck would be fairly minimal since we already have a good sized paver deck and wanted to keep some yard for the kiddos.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of the progress going here in the following posts.

Here's the original situation of the backyard before we called in the nuclear strike. Outline of pool and dog visible.

Outline.jpg

Nice view - and seems like the dog is a big helper. Are you able to post the design? Is your tanning shelf a single layer or two? Look forward to watching the progress - Karen

I'm going to have to figure out some picture hosting before I can post anything else. The tanning ledge is really one level but it also has a bench extending from it and stairs coming off on the other side.

OK, just set up a photobucket account. Here is the design (or at least 95% of the final design):

Design_zps74f0ad90.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is pretty awesome. Love the shape and how it is so natural as opposed to the shape of mine. ◼️

Thanks bdex, it is pretty cool to know I designed it and now it is a real object sitting in the back yard. In the gunite picture above, the area that I'm standing is intended to be a planter for a shade tree. I wanted to do a big pineapple palm there there get maximum shade during peak hours. In that photo, the sun would be in the direction directly behind where I'm standing and about 80 degrees elevation. The goal was that even during that part of the day I could get some shade so through helpful trigonometry I knew I would need to get thattree as close to the water as humanly possible or it would need to be 75 feet tall! So I designed that "peninsula" planter and the bench directly below it. So all was grand until I found out what date palms cost!! OMG!

I did wind up finding a deal on them where I could at least still sleep at night. The tall tree in this picture is just awaiting pool completion before being planted in that spot. It is an 8 foot clear trunk Medjool Date.

Tree_zps33355551.jpg

Looking good - I can see the bench now off of the tanning shelf. Have fun "watering" - Karen

Thanks! We're past the watering stage now! I've read through your entire thread, what a saga. I have had my own tribulations with our PB although I think you are doing much more with your backyard so there is more chance for screw ups. It is clear to me that communication is not the number one skill they value at these places. Getting even the most basic information from my PB has been like pulling teeth. I guess you are supposed to just close your eyes, cross your fingers, and assume everything will be fine... Easier said than done when the $$ amounts are considered, but to them it is just another pool - no big deal. We're almost done so I have gotten over most of the unhappiness hump now, but I think you may be hitting the peak!

Deck Prep (did I mention how much I love plumbing??)

DeckPrep2_zpscfb4e40e.jpg

DeckPrep1_zpsa4cafa52.jpg

Paver Deck Install

Deck3_zpsc371083d.jpg

Deck1_zps576fe4b8.jpg

Deck2_zps6b9663c1.jpg

Completed Deck (you can see the step down from the existing):

Deck4_zps376f2689.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That brings us up to today. They are planning to do plaster on Tuesday from what I understand.

Gorgeous! I'm jealous of the palm tree! We moved north from Clear Lake about a year ago - can't tell you how much I miss seeing them everywhere and how outrageously expensive they are up here! Pool is looking great, hope things are smooth from here on out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.