Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What happens when you run out of money for pool chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

What happens when you run out of money for pool chemicals

It's been awhile since I have posted. Been going through some things. Who isn't though, right? lol Anyway, I got separated in December and divorced in June. I got to keep the house, the kid, and the pool. Sadly, she got my flat screen TV. Anyway... been getting used to the single income lifestyle and making some adjustments. So, I ran out of money for bleach a few weeks ago and got algae. At that point I decided to let it run wild until I got my budget straight and built up a good bleach supply to regain control and maintain it going forward on my new budget. I have 25 bottles of bleach now and will be getting another 25 in a few days. So, is this thread useless without pics? For your viewing pleasure...

Before:

Now:

Welcome to my cleanup thread. My daughter is vacuuming it right now. After that it will get a good daily scrubbing and then I will bring the chlorine up to shock levels and maintain it until its clean. Not my first algae outbreak but definitely the worst. I got one a few year ago so I know how to deal with it, this is more or less just a cool thing to watch over time, the cleanup.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What happens when you run out of money for pool chemicals

You could use a cover if you need to put the pool on hold for a while. That would keep it clean and algae free.

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought about that but figured since it was out of chlorine it would still grow. I have a winter cover but I did not think that would stop the growth without getting the chlorine level up.
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

If there's not a whole bunch of debris in there, it ought to go pretty quick. If you can set the filter to recirculate, you can get a good kill on it, then vacuum the crud to waste, and then finish the job normally.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry for the disruptions in your life. Sometimes letting the pool go is the right answer.

At least you know the pool cleanup isn't as big a mess as it seems. Good luck with it!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Richard, That is exactly what I did. It just so happens that mere days before I let it go we vacuumed it. Most of what you see is just algae. We vacuumed yesterday but rustled up enough algae to make the bottom impossible to see. I ran the FC up to 20PPM and today almost 20 hours later it was back down to 1.5ppm. I just shocked it again. It does look better today. The water is still murky but it has a blueish white tinge to it. You can see the missed spots on the bottom from the vacuuming. My daughter is brushing it all up real good right now. A couple of pics. Its still got a long way to go. But I think by tomorrow I should be able to get a good scrub on the entire pool without losing visibility.

7. Back To Top    #7

What is the break-even point between the number of gallons of bleach you'd need versus the cost of 23K gallons of new, clean water? Seems around the same amount of time either way....it's gonna be at least a few days before you can be swimming again if you drain and fill versus the cleanup and SLAM process.

Seems like with all the threads I read about people needing to spend massive amounts of time and lots of money on bleach, no one asks the question or even considers a pool drain and refill. I know to fill my 17000+ gallon pool, I spent about $100 extra on my water bill......do you think you will exceed that in bottles of bleach?
    17,100 gallon, 27' round Wine Barrel, Hayward Matrix 1.5HP 2-speed Pump, Hayward Pro Series 24" Sand Filter, Hayward Skimmer and Returns, TF100 test kit......and lots of labor!

8. Back To Top    #8

To answer one of your questions, I remember my days like that. It may not be an option for you, but I got a roommate during the tough times. At the time I was 38 years old, and that might seem odd, but you do what you gotta do, know what I mean?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Augie56 View Post
    What is the break-even point between the number of gallons of bleach you'd need versus the cost of 23K gallons of new, clean water? Seems around the same amount of time either way....it's gonna be at least a few days before you can be swimming again if you drain and fill versus the cleanup and SLAM process.

Seems like with all the threads I read about people needing to spend massive amounts of time and lots of money on bleach, no one asks the question or even considers a pool drain and refill. I know to fill my 17000+ gallon pool, I spent about $100 extra on my water bill......do you think you will exceed that in bottles of bleach?
    You haven't read enough, then. Most of the swamp threads come in May or June, and that option has been suggested.

But a drain isn't always as simple as you think. If the pool has a vinyl liner, it shouldn't be completely emptied. The liner can wrinkle or shift. Above ground pools can have a wall bow inwards. Intex pools can shift off their supports. In ground pools can float up and break pipes if the water table is high. You have to leave some water in the pool. So there's always going to be at least a foot of green water to deal with, which will require lots of bleach anyway. Then there's the expense of adding new CYA. And if the water is high in TA, gallons of acid to lower that again.

And for a good many of us, operating under water restrictions, a drain isn't possible.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I have an update.

The water was mostly clear today. I have been brushing mostly from the outside of the pool until it cleared up enough to see the bottom. I did an OCLT and lost no PPM. It seems kind of odd that it would lose none when the water was still a little cloudy and there was still brown spots on the bottom that were missed. I checked it again tonight after sundown and its at 13.5 ppm. Will check again in the AM.

I do have an issue. It appears the algae may have become "attached" to my liner. There are brown stains on the liner that feel rough and the brush does not clean them no matter how hard I try. Its mostly in corners and hard to reach places. Is that normal? I would post a pic but it got cloudy on me today after I got in and gave it a real good scrubbing. There are even brown stains on the stairs. The "green" has disappeared completely. It's like all the algae is dead and turned brown. Most of the brown spot just clouded up and left clean liner where there was once brown.

Augie56, Richard is correct. A water change on mine (while possible) is not advised without extensive prep work. It is buried about 30" in the ground and the liner would indeed become an issue. I do not know about the walls but its not a chance I am willing to take. But, The bleach so far has cost about $120 but I still have 9 of the 47 bottles left. I think the fill cost me about $75. It holds 26300 gallons.

RobbieH,
    I thought about that but for what I do for a living, its not a good idea. I would need someone I trust implicitly and even then, the stakes are high and possibly deadly for me and my daughter if I make a bad choice.

11. Back To Top    #11

Another update. OCLT passed with 0 loss once again. I still have these though and don't know how to get rid of them. Anyone have any idea what it is or how to get rid of them?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Glock View Post
    RobbieH,
    I thought about that but for what I do for a living, its not a good idea. I would need someone I trust implicitly and even then, the stakes are high and possibly deadly for me and my daughter if I make a bad choice.
    Both my roomies (one at a time, not two at the same time) were extremely good friends, not strangers.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

Need to determine if that substance is metal staining or organic staining. Any powder/pucks laying around?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Need to determine if that substance is metal staining or organic staining. Any powder/pucks laying around?
    No I am straight bleach. I have thought about adding a floater though. The stained parts have a rough texture though. The water is pretty clear right now and if is even better tomorrow I am going to get back in and try to remove some of it again.

15. Back To Top    #15

I'd you have a vitamin C pill, drop one on a stain. If it clears the spot, it's metals.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!