Return line Ball Valve

Jun 12, 2014
Hauppauge, NY
Hi I am a new pool owner. I just redid my pool plumbing this year (see attached) and was wondering whether I need to add a ball valve for my return line. (Do I need one)

I only question this now because I am looking into closing my pool for the first time and was wondering whether or not I need to trap air in the return lines when blowing out the system. The only way I can see this happening is if I am able to close the valve once the air is blowing out the lines. (is this a correct assumption)

I was under the assumption that once I have air blowing through the plumbing I close the valve after I plug the plumbing holes. For example once air shoots out the skimmers I plug up then close the skimmer valve, then once air comes out main drawin I close main Drain valve.

Let me know your thoughts

Pat20140715_195728small.jpg

My pool does not have ball valves on the return lines. They might be helpful in certain situations but they are by no means necessary. If you were going to only lower your water level below the skimmer, above returns it might be more helpful to have ball valves but even if you do that, it can be done without them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.