Is my pump strong enough?

Aug 9, 2014
Hi all, I'm putting up an intex 18x9 pool next spring.
Question is I'm planning on putting 2 4x 20 panels on my roof.
I'll be running lines 55 ft to my house then up 12 ft to my roof.
Will the intex 3000 gph with sand filter carry the load? if not what size pump do you recommend for this project
Thank you all in advance. This forum has helped me immensely

Intex pumps usually do not have enough head to lift the water to elevated panels and prime the panels. Is there anyway to put the panels on the ground next to the pool?

NS810-AG-Deluxe-Solar-Heater.jpg

I have the 1600gph and it isn't strong enough to lift water out of the pool to assist in draining. We tried using the vacuum hose on the suction outlet and weighting the hose to the bottom and it stopped pumping once the water level was 3 or 4 inches below the outlet.

Thanks for the reply mas985. Unfortunately I cannot put the panels on the ground as I have 40 ft trees lining the south and west side of my property.
I'll need to put the panels on my roof. Would you suggest a 1 hp pump ?
I also have a 2150 pump that I could use solely for the solar system, rig it up to the intex pump?

I also have a 2150 pump that I could use solely for the solar system, rig it up to the intex pump?
Putting them in series will close to double the maximum head so that might help but you would need to experiment to find out.

As for another pump, most any standard AG pump would probably work. But the problem will be that you will also need to get a filter because Intex filters are way too small for a standard AG pump. Combo units are probably the most cost effective.

Also, you stated your intent for two 4'x20' panels. That is just about 100 percent of your pool's square footage, which is much more than the minimum recommended for a system that is operating at peak efficiency. Unless you have mitigating factors, such as limited daylight exposure or a poorly performing pump, that might be overkill. Then again, you might just want to heat your water twice as fast! Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My roof does get a lot of sun.
I'd like to heat it up pretty quickly as I do live in Toronto.
My new dilemma is the pump itself now. I wanted to put in a sand filter salt water chlorinator
So not sure if I should just add another pump after the filter (as the sandfilter swg is usually one unit)
Or buy them separately.
Im having trouble finding a pump curve and head flow for pumps online.
Any suggestions of a pump that can run 55 ft then up 12 ft to the collectors and back?
The largest sandfilter see combo us 2650 gph from intex I believe. People gad said this pump might not be strong enough to get up to my roof back and circulate my pool?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Okay so I could go ahead and purchase the intex sand filter salt water syatem for the pool and buy a separate 1 hp hayward pump for the solar system?
I like the idea of having 2 pumps, I could use ball valves to divert the solar water .!!

The 3/4 HP would be more than enough too.

But I would try this first before buying a new pump. It might add enough head to get it to work. Pumps in series add max head so it is possible that it would work.

Excellent!!! I can't thank you all enough.
I was hoping to use the extra pump some how!
Funny how things work. My wife really wants the intex sand swg system and I m excited about this solar project.in saying that I feel confident with your help that this may all cone to fruition .
Now waiting out thus love g winter ahead of us!!arrg!

I am using the intex 2650 sand filter and the 3/4 Horsepower Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump and it works great. I am pumping to the top of the 7ft pergola. 3/4 HP has been great.

I am using the intex 2650 sand filter and the 3/4 Horsepower Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump and it works great. I am pumping to the top of the 7ft pergola. 3/4 HP has been great.
Maybe you missed this comment:
As for another pump, most any standard AG pump would probably work. But the problem will be that you will also need to get a filter because Intex filters are way too small for a standard AG pump.
While you may not have experienced any problems yet, you run the risk of damaging your filter with that pump. Not to mention filtering capability is greatly diminished when exceeding recommended flow rates for filters.

Not to confuse anyone but the intex pool(I just picked it up )came with a 1600 gph cartridge pump with saltwater system.
I also picked up a 3/4 horse power hayward power flo pump for 40 $ on kijiji.As i already have my intex pump saltwatersystem,I was hoping I could set up my system like this.
1)
Intex pump swg system from intake then a T with ball valve to hayward pump to power my solar system, back to another t ball valve to pool return.
I'm concerned the hayward pump may starve as the intex pump system isn't enough power to push water to hayward pump.
2) reverse pump systems .hayward first then a T or a y to intex pump swg system .
3)sell the saltwater pump system and bup the intex stand alone swg and run the pool swg and solar syatem from the hayward pump.
4) spend lots of money and buy a sand filter hayward saltwater system and use the pump to run pool and solar?
Amy help is very appreciated

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.