Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my pump strong enough?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my pump strong enough?

Hi all, I'm putting up an intex 18x9 pool next spring.
    Question is I'm planning on putting 2 4x 20 panels on my roof.
    I'll be running lines 55 ft to my house then up 12 ft to my roof.
    Will the intex 3000 gph with sand filter carry the load? if not what size pump do you recommend for this project
    Thank you all in advance. This forum has helped me immensely

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my pump strong enough?

Intex pumps usually do not have enough head to lift the water to elevated panels and prime the panels. Is there anyway to put the panels on the ground next to the pool?

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the 1600gph and it isn't strong enough to lift water out of the pool to assist in draining. We tried using the vacuum hose on the suction outlet and weighting the hose to the bottom and it stopped pumping once the water level was 3 or 4 inches below the outlet.
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply mas985. Unfortunately I cannot put the panels on the ground as I have 40 ft trees lining the south and west side of my property.
    I'll need to put the panels on my roof. Would you suggest a 1 hp pump ?
    I also have a 2150 pump that I could use solely for the solar system, rig it up to the intex pump?

5. Back To Top    #5

I had no idea these pumps where so underpowered mac.d blues.
    Thanks for your assistance

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bennett.tim72 View Post
    I also have a 2150 pump that I could use solely for the solar system, rig it up to the intex pump?
    Putting them in series will close to double the maximum head so that might help but you would need to experiment to find out.

As for another pump, most any standard AG pump would probably work. But the problem will be that you will also need to get a filter because Intex filters are way too small for a standard AG pump. Combo units are probably the most cost effective.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I think that's the way to go then Mas 985.
    Ill look into purchasing a hayward sand filter with 1 hp pump. Any thoughts on sand filter size ?
    Should I go with a 2 speed pump?
    Thank you

8. Back To Top    #8

I would go with at least 24" and yes a two speed pump is a good idea.
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you kindly Mas985!

10. Back To Top    #10

Also, you stated your intent for two 4'x20' panels. That is just about 100 percent of your pool's square footage, which is much more than the minimum recommended for a system that is operating at peak efficiency. Unless you have mitigating factors, such as limited daylight exposure or a poorly performing pump, that might be overkill. Then again, you might just want to heat your water twice as fast! Good luck.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

11. Back To Top    #11

My roof does get a lot of sun.
    I'd like to heat it up pretty quickly as I do live in Toronto.
    My new dilemma is the pump itself now. I wanted to put in a sand filter salt water chlorinator
    So not sure if I should just add another pump after the filter (as the sandfilter swg is usually one unit)
    Or buy them separately.
    Im having trouble finding a pump curve and head flow for pumps online.
    Any suggestions of a pump that can run 55 ft then up 12 ft to the collectors and back?
    The largest sandfilter see combo us 2650 gph from intex I believe. People gad said this pump might not be strong enough to get up to my roof back and circulate my pool?

12. Back To Top    #12

Any suggestions of a pump that can run 55 ft then up 12 ft to the collectors and back?
    Any AG pump from Hayward or Pentair is fine. Just not the cheap Intex and Krystal Clear.
    Mark

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay so I could go ahead and purchase the intex sand filter salt water syatem for the pool and buy a separate 1 hp hayward pump for the solar system?
    I like the idea of having 2 pumps, I could use ball valves to divert the solar water .!!

14. Back To Top    #14

The 3/4 HP would be more than enough too.

But I would try this first before buying a new pump. It might add enough head to get it to work. Pumps in series add max head so it is possible that it would work.
    Mark

15. Back To Top    #15

Excellent!!! I can't thank you all enough.
    I was hoping to use the extra pump some how!
    Funny how things work. My wife really wants the intex sand swg system and I m excited about this solar project.in saying that I feel confident with your help that this may all cone to fruition .
    Now waiting out thus love g winter ahead of us!!arrg!

16. Back To Top    #16

Loong winter

17. Back To Top    #17

I am using the intex 2650 sand filter and the 3/4 Horsepower Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump and it works great. I am pumping to the top of the 7ft pergola. 3/4 HP has been great.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by f3justusc View Post
    I am using the intex 2650 sand filter and the 3/4 Horsepower Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump and it works great. I am pumping to the top of the 7ft pergola. 3/4 HP has been great.
    Maybe you missed this comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    As for another pump, most any standard AG pump would probably work. But the problem will be that you will also need to get a filter because Intex filters are way too small for a standard AG pump.
    While you may not have experienced any problems yet, you run the risk of damaging your filter with that pump. Not to mention filtering capability is greatly diminished when exceeding recommended flow rates for filters.
    Mark

19. Back To Top    #19

Not to confuse anyone but the intex pool(I just picked it up )came with a 1600 gph cartridge pump with saltwater system.
    I also picked up a 3/4 horse power hayward power flo pump for 40 $ on kijiji.As i already have my intex pump saltwatersystem,I was hoping I could set up my system like this.
    1)
    Intex pump swg system from intake then a T with ball valve to hayward pump to power my solar system, back to another t ball valve to pool return.
    I'm concerned the hayward pump may starve as the intex pump system isn't enough power to push water to hayward pump.
    2) reverse pump systems .hayward first then a T or a y to intex pump swg system .
    3)sell the saltwater pump system and bup the intex stand alone swg and run the pool swg and solar syatem from the hayward pump.
    4) spend lots of money and buy a sand filter hayward saltwater system and use the pump to run pool and solar?
    Amy help is very appreciated