Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Build- First time Owners- Pearland, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build- First time Owners- Pearland, TX

We have been reading through this forum for over a year now and have enjoyed seeing all of your pools. It's time to take that big step and build our pool. I'm not sure who is more excited, my son (5) or my husband.

Though we both grew up with pools this building process is another animal. Thank goodness we found you guys here.

The PB bidding phase is in process and we are leaning towards a local builder. Still have two more coming out.

Does anyone see anything clearly missing or wrong with this bid proposal? We most likely will choose chlorinator/ ozanator from #19. We want to be courteous neighbors and the pool is being built off the side of our house but close to our shared fence.

CUSTOM POOL PACKAGE INCLUDES: (34 ½’ x 15’)
    1. UP TO 80’ PERIMETER POOL 6’ MAX DEPTH W/ 14” SELECT BLEND FLAGSTONE OR BRICK COPING & BASIC 6” WATER LINE TILE ($6 per sq ft allowance)
    2. 450 SQ/FT. SPRAY DECK or PEA GRAVEL DECKING, 3/8” REBAR 16” O.C.
    3. 8-10 RETURN LINES & BUBBLERS (VARIATION IN HEIGHT) TBD
    4. 2 SKIMMER with 2” SUCTION LINES ON 45* ANGLES
    5. 2 ANTI-VORTEX MAIN DRAINS with 2” SUCTION LINES ON 45 ANGLES
    6. STEEL DETAIL: 3/8” REBAR 8” O.C., 4” O.C. ON ALL DEPTH TRANSITIONS, 4 - #4, ½” REBAR ON BOND BEAM
    7. GUNITE SHELL: 6.1 (SACKS/SAND) RATIO; 4000 PSI
    8. POOL EQUIPMENT PAD
    9. ALL ELECTRICAL RUNS INCLUDED
    10. ELECTRICAL SUB PANEL (if needed is $400 additional)
    11. OUTDOOR LIGHT AT EQUIPMENT PAD
    12. HAYWARD 2 HORSEPOWER TRISTAR DUAL SPEED EE PUMP
    13. HAYWARD CARTRIDGE FILTER
    14. HAYWARD 120V LED POOL LIGHT
    15. AQUA LOGIC CONTROL SYSTEM WITH WIRELESS AQUA POD REMOTE
    16. HAYWARD TIGERSHARK POOL CLEANER
    17. SEWER LINE (per city requirements)
    18. PARAMOUNT PARALEVEL AUTOFILL / OVERFLOW SYSTEM
    19. PENTAIR IN LINE CHLORINATOR & OZANATOR / DELTA UV SYSTEM or AQUA RITE SALT SYSTEM
    20. QUARTZ FINISH PLASTER; IVORY, BLUE, SUPER BLUE or MARLIN BLUE
    21. START UP KIT INCLUDING: NET, BRUSH, POLE, TEST KIT, HOSE AND VACUUM ATTACHMENT

CUSTOM SPA PACKAGE INCLUDES:
    1. 7’ SQUARE SPA, RAISED 12”, 3’ MAX DEPTH W/ 20” – 22” SELECT BLEND FLAGSTONE OR BRICK COPING, FLAGSTONE OR 6” BASIC TILE SPA SURROUND AND 6” BASIC WATER LINE TILE ($6 per sq ft allowance)
    2. 8’ FLAT SPILL WAY
    3. 8 HAYWARD MASSAGE JETS
    4. 2 ANTI-VORTEX MAIN DRAINS with 2 1/2” SUCTION LINES ON 45* ANGLES
    5. HAYWARD H-SERIES 400,000 LOW NOX HEATER (20’ gas run included $8 per ft each additional)
    6. SILENCER 2 HP AIR BLOWER
    7. HAYWARD 120 V LED SPA LIGHT
    8. QUARTZ FINISH PLASTER
    A. SIGNATURE SPA: BULLNOSE BEAM ON INSIDE OF SPA WITH GLASS TILE
    (up to $20 per sq ft allowance), ADDITIONAL $

____ ____

ADDITIONAL PERIMETER………………………………………………$225.00 PER FT.
    ADDITIONAL 19’ PERIMETER = $

1 Ό” TRAVERTINE COPING………………………..…………..………..$5.00 PER FT.
    UPGRADE 115’ TO TRAVERTINE COPING = $

12” RAISED BEAM WALL………………………….…………….……..…….$100.00 PER FT.
    (Includes 6” Basic Tile / Splitface Stone Facing) ADD 17’ OF RAISED WALL = $
    TOE/TRIM TILE…………………………………………………………… $250.00
    (Includes Tile from the Basic Waterline Tile Selection and Installation)

carlos and selina sauter_004.jpg

There won't be any bubbles in the tanning ledge, but there will be a scupper or waterfall line in the raised wall on the far end.

We think it's pretty simple but fits our needs. I appreciate all of your feedback more than you know.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build- First time Owners- Pearland, TX

Nice looking pool
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

3. Back To Top    #3

I like the geometric lines and the shape of the spa. I think that looks like glass tiles on the far wall which I'm a big fan - nice pool. - Karen
    New in 2017, will update

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm with Karen, love the geometric - unfortunately in my long, curvy/angled yard it wouldn't have looked right. Just curious as to why you nixed the bubbler on the tanning ledge? I'm not an expert but I think mine helps circulate the water along with the waterfall. Good luck.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure you can tell from he picture but the hot tub will spill over into the pool on that end not sure if we needed that and the bubblers. Something to consider though. Maybe we'll keep both

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice design. Would nix the ozonator or UV light. Not needed for outdoor pool. Look forward to following your built.
    32K gallon 24'x41' IG, 8'x10' spa, mini pebble,
    Pentair equipment [Intellitouch I9, IC-60 SWG, 520 sq Clean + Clear Plus cartridge filter, 3 VS pumps(1 FX, 2 intelliflo)], Dolphin M5 cleaner.
    2 rain shears, 2 water shears, 2 blubbers, 4 laminars, water slide, rock waterfall.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yesterday, the price is the same no matter which choice we use from #19. We weren't given an choice to go with nothing. Of the three listed, PENTAIR IN LINE CHLORINATOR & OZANATOR / DELTA UV SYSTEM or AQUA RITE SALT SYSTEM any better than the others?

Given that we a steering away from salt. Is there any benefit to one vs the other ozone or uv?

Would that be the preference to ask for the cost with neither the ozone or uv?

8. Back To Top    #8

beautiful simple design, I love it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by almond View Post
    Yesterday, the price is the same no matter which choice we use from #19. We weren't given an choice to go with nothing. Of the three listed, PENTAIR IN LINE CHLORINATOR & OZANATOR / DELTA UV SYSTEM or AQUA RITE SALT SYSTEM any better than the others?

Given that we a steering away from salt. Is there any benefit to one vs the other ozone or uv?

Would that be the preference to ask for the cost with neither the ozone or uv?
    You ALWAYS have a choice. Don't let the PB railroad you! I don't believe you will find much support here for the need of an ozonator on a residential pool.

Others may chime in, but in my research, it would seem a 2HP pump may be oversized for this pool. We went with a 1.5HP 2-speed pump on ours which is slightly larger (103 perimeter vs your 99) and looking at the data I could find online, that is plenty.

What size cartridge filter are they giving you?
    ~18,000 IG/Spa chlorine, Blue Granite Pebblesheen
    Hayward 1.5hp 2-speed Tri-Star Pump, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    400K BTU Heater, LED Lights, PS8 Automation
    Build thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...s-Houston-area

10. Back To Top    #10

Absolutely! You definitely have a choice. Also, the Quartzscapes colors listed for the plaster are the Tier 1 colors. Take a look at the pictures on the NPT website in the gallery section to get a better view than you can by just looking at the sample. I ended up upgrading to a Tier 3 after doing so which of course costs more but you can negotiate this in with any builder before you sign on the dotted line. Also, think about automation and if you want features like using your phone or tablet to control the pool. If you do, the AquaLogic controller is not the right choice.
    25K gal FF; QuartzScapes Barbados Blue; ColorLogic LEDs, ProLogic PS-8, AquaPod, AquaConnect, (3) WhisperFlo 2.5HP pumps, 1HP blower, 3/4HP cleaner pump; Pentair CC 520 cartridge filter; MasterTemp 400 propane, Rainbow 320; UltraPure UV/Ozone; Polaris 280; 7' raised spa by rock waterside; (soon) 62" fire pit, (soon) ODK; 60x40 screen enclosure
    Build - here.

11. Back To Top    #11

Very cool! We're also in the bidding process, and our pool/yard looks pretty similar to yours...our raised wall is on the side though. I can't wait to start my build thread for you guys to take a look at the equipment before we sign.

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm also in Pearland, TX and will be following this build as we are looking to start a build early next year.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by textommyboy View Post
    I'm also in Pearland, TX and will be following this build as we are looking to start a build early next year.
    Just get all your ducks in line before the busy season starts which is March around here.
    25K gal FF; QuartzScapes Barbados Blue; ColorLogic LEDs, ProLogic PS-8, AquaPod, AquaConnect, (3) WhisperFlo 2.5HP pumps, 1HP blower, 3/4HP cleaner pump; Pentair CC 520 cartridge filter; MasterTemp 400 propane, Rainbow 320; UltraPure UV/Ozone; Polaris 280; 7' raised spa by rock waterside; (soon) 62" fire pit, (soon) ODK; 60x40 screen enclosure
    Build - here.

14. Back To Top    #14

Sooooo I'm a slacker and haven''t been updating but will backtrack the build with pictures and get everyone up to date. The build started Nov 8 and minus one hiccup which better get resolved this morning has been great.

Be back later today.

15. Back To Top    #15

I can't wait to see and hear all about it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Hey almond any updates on your pool build? We're finally getting pool quotes this year and am going back to all the pool builds in, and around, the Houston (especially Pearland) area for inspiration and advice.

17. Back To Top    #17

Howdy Neighbors, We are in Shadow Creek Ranch and went with Premier Pools as our Pool Builder. You can see my build below.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

18. Back To Top    #18

Oh look. Another Pearland pool. Ours will get started just as soon as the financing gets lined up. I looked at Primier, but did not go with them. They were a little high relative to the other builders in the area. Also, they were too hard-up to get us to use the UV/Ozone system rather than the SWG I asked for. I don't mind a hard sell, but at some point they need to give up and quote to the spec.
    Partially operational.
    17,000 g, SWG, tanning shelf, bubbler, slide grotto, Prism Matrix - Deep Blue Sea, 2x Hayward Ecostar VSP (one filter, swg, and bubbler; one slide and grotto).

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by rodog123 View Post
    Howdy Neighbors, We are in Shadow Creek Ranch and went with Premier Pools as our Pool Builder. You can see my build below.
    I know you had good luck with Premier Pools-your pool looks awesome, but I'm really curious what became of AppleGuy's pool problem. He posted a few months ago about what seemed to lean toward a pool shell-tilt and then he disappeared without any updates. I'm curious how it was resolved. I think his PB was Premier Pools. Maybe a private message is on order to avoid getting the thread-locked??
    Last edited by pragmatic; 04-23-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22’X42’ Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10’X12’ Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater