Power Outage Question - Pump

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
Have a question on our pump. When we have a short blip or power outage, the pump goes off and shows an error code of ERR 1 on the pump. The pump does not come back on until I reset it or press the run/stop button.

This is very concerning to me if I am away from the house for a few days - The power could go even for a second and the pump would not come back on!

Also - If i have the heater on and the power goes for second, the pump will stay off leaving hot water in the heater which I have heard causes issue with the plumbing and gaskets.

Any suggestion on what can be done for this?

This is the pump we have - http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/super-pump-vs?DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true

Found this in the manual:

Motor Shuts OFF:
1. Check for low voltage or power drop at the motor (frequently caused by undersized wiring). Contact a
qualified professional to verify the electrical connections.
2. If the pump experiences an intermittent power failure short enough to remain power to the controller but not
the pump, the pump will stop the motor. To resume function to the pump PRESS the RUN / STOP key or cycle
power long enough to turn the controller off.

Error Codes
In the case that an internal failure has been detected the pump will turn the motor off and display an error code listed
below. If more than one error has been detected the screen will flash between the errors. The cause of the error
should be investigated and resolved before continuing normal operation of the pump. When the issue has been
resolved, press the RUN / STOP key to clear the error message.

Err01

Error Number Detected
Code: Indications:
01 Undervoltage on DC-Link
02 Overvoltage on DC-Link
10 Current Measurement Fails Permanently
20 Overload During Start Up Process
64 Short Circuit Failure
97 Multiple Errors at the Same Time, i.e. Undervoltage and Overload Error
98 Communication Failure From controller

Have a question on our pump. When we have a short blip or power outage, the pump goes off and shows an error code of ERR 1 on the pump. The pump does not come back on until I reset it or press the run/stop button.

Having the exact same issue and there does not seem to be a remedy with this pump. We leave our pool/home for 5-6 days at a time and being in the lighting capital of the U.S. Power blips happen daily during the summer. Had I known there was only a manual reset and no cycling back on with the timer I would not have purchased this pump.

The Err 01 code has been the bane of my existence since I purchased this (expensive) pump. I completely understand the need to stop an ECM motor if there is a control issue, however, there is NO reason the pump can't determine when the power is restored to a steady state and restart. This is a design failure - It is NEVER a good idea to implement an non-recoverable error mode based on a common occurrence that is beyond anyone's control. Living in Florida, power "gliches" happen often (it has nothing to do with the size of the wiring). Everytime I read the instruction, "When the issue has been resolved, press the RUN / STOP key to clear the error message", I would like to ask Hayward how they would like me to resolve the weather.

Now that I'm done with my rant, there is a workable solution for this problem. I purchased an electronic timer that has multiple ON/OFF programmable times per day. I basically turn the power off to the pump every two hours so that if the Err 01 occurs, the pump will restart when the timer turns the power back on. Certainly not an optimal solution, but it allows me to rely on a reasonable statistical probability that the power will be stable over one or more of my two hour resets.

I was also facing a second Err 01 problem that I was able to resolve via the pump's software. Occasionally, both of my air-conditioning units would start at the same time and initiate the Err 01 message. My solution to this issue was to reduce the pump's top speed (thereby reducing the power to the pump and the corresponding voltage drop). In my case, if I change the pump's speed from 3000 RPM (1760Watts) to 2500 RPM (771Watts), it keeps right on working regardless of my air-conditioning cycling. For additional reliability, I also programmed the primer time to zero (0) so that the pump never runs at 3000 RPM.

As a customer, I feel that I should not have to deal with any of these issues, especially with an "intelligent" pump. It is my hope that Hayward (an extremely customer oriented business) will issue a software update to resolve this automatic restart problem. If it were not for this problem, I would be blogging about the virtues of the Hayward Super Pump. In the spirit of full disclosure, the reason I have gone to great lengths and additional expense to make this pump work is that in no way do I want to tell my wife that the $800 pump I had to have was a mistake.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.