Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump runs but no pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump runs but no pressure

I have a 6 year old Whisperflo 1.5hp pump. Today I noticed the pump was on and running (sounded quiet and normal) but there was no flow. Small amount of water in the pump basket. Removed cover and checked impeller, it rotates freely. Nothing looks out of the ordinary with the pump. Pool has been functioning fine all summer, plenty of pressure in my fountains and returns. Multi-valve lid and gasket are fairly new. Cartridge filters and salt cell are only 5 months old. Have not had any flow issues since I opened the pool 6 years ago. Main drains and skimmer basket are clear as far as I can tell. Water level is a few inches high from recent rain.

Where do I start?
    IGP 8500gal, Jandy Aqualink RS with IAqualink, Jandy Watercolors LED, Pentair Clean&Clear filter, Pentair Mastertemp heater, Pentair 1.5hp Whisperflo pump, A&A in-floor filtration (garbage!).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump runs but no pressure

Check the capacitor first. There's a YouTube video how to test it using a non-digital Multimeter.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Spin the impeller again and verify that the motor is acutally turning over when you turn the impeller.
    Wiggle the impeller and confirm it is firmly connected and does not have excessive wobble (I dont like this sentence but you get the idea).
    Verify that the motor shaft is spinning when power is applied (you state it sounded normal so I think the motor is working properly but check anyway).
    If all that is in order, something is blocking the flow. Verify all valves needed are open (sometimes its the simple things we overlook).
    Let us know how this checklist works out.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jpcdmd View Post
    I have a 6 year old Whisperflo 1.5hp pump. Today I noticed the pump was on and running (sounded quiet and normal) but there was no flow. Small amount of water in the pump basket.
    If the motor is running it wouldn't be an issue with the motor. It sounds more like the pump is not primed. The first thing I would check for is a clogged impeller but since you already checked the impeller, I will assume you checked for a clog too. The next thing I would check for is a blocked suction line. Try back flushing (from pump to skimmer) the suction line. You can use a hose with a wet rag to seal it. After the rain, were you vacuuming up a lot of debris?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater