New Build! McKinney, TX

Jul 21, 2014
McKinney, TX
We finalized our design and ended up changing to a diving pool! We were one day late on our initial dig date because we were waiting on GCEC, but today we have a hole in the ground!

Our lot is set about 8 feet higher that the neighbors behind us, so we had to get a little creative to move away from the retaining wall. We decided to move our fence forward on the side of our house and build the pool in that area. I didn't take great before shots, unfortunately. But here are two:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408568621.655592.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408568654.351690.jpg

6roxhe.jpg

k0396e.jpg

2aan1jn.jpg

1zbeana.jpg

I don't like what I see. This material looks like fill (See the striations at different levels at the excavated site). Here are the things I find most alarming:
1.) Excavated site has soils that are suspicious for fill.
2.) Pre-grade poorly done as there is still grass mixed in with the soil.
3.) Spa is substantially out of ground - recommend piers
4.) Retaining wall is too close to pool - the surcharge will cause retaining wall to fail, then pool will fail, then home will be at risk.
5.) Something about this excavation is not right? Oh yes, THE POOL FLOOR ELEVATION IS NOT IN COMPLIANCE FOR A DIVING POOL!
6.) Someone get out there with a tape measure and the diving envelope and check this pool out before it's too late.
7.) The home foundation is surcharging the pool wall, I hope the builder is accounting for this both in rebar and increased thickness of the shell along the side of the home (THIS IS A DIVER POOL & IT BREACHES THE ANGLE OF THE SURCHARGE FROM THE HOME)

Just double check me and if I am wrong it's because I am not actually at the site and only rendering an opinion based on photos and a limited drawing.

Best of luck.

Let me clarify a few things for you based on documented guidelines:

The no load zone = pool depth D + 1 Foot. In other words, the distance from the foundation of your home to the pool wall must be at least 1 foot greater than the depth of your pool otherwise you breach the no load zone. It appears that the excavated sithe for this pool breaches that zone. DO NOT PLACE ANY HEAVY EQUIPMENT IN THIS NO LOAD ZONE AREA, NO COMPACTION EQUIPMENT, NO HEAVY MACHINERY OR TRUCKS, ETC. IT IS A DANGER ZONE AND PRONE TO COLLAPSE.

Now, if you draw an imaginary line from the corner of your home at a 45 degree angle to the pool wall you will see that the line goes into and through the pool wall. That means you will need extra reinforcements and a thicker wall to offset the surcharge emanating from the home.

The pool floor elevation depth ratio to 5 feet of depth is 1:7 (1Ft. in 7Ft.). That means that if your depth at the entry is 3 feet, you will burn 14 feet of the floor to get to 5 feet of depth. Then the elevation ratio changes to 1Ft. in 3 Ft. So, to get to 8.5 Ft. which is min. diver depth you will burn another 10.5 Feet. That's why diver pools need to be longer. But they also have to be wide enough for the diving envelope that come from the diving board manufacturer.

Also, there are very stringent requirements for hillside areas regarding slopes. It would be in your best interest to have an engineer come look at this pool site before its too late. You many need piers in the pool as well as in the spa.

A verbal opinion from a geotechnical engineer will run you around $500.00 at 9727901910.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice work poolcritic. I’ve read a few of your posts, your language practices/standards “rings a bell.” So I guess you study the good stuff too[emoji106].. (G3?)

To the above, I doubt he has an agenda, his contentions are all reflected in the photos- he is articulating them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.