Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borate Drop Test - Failed

1. Back To Top    #1

Borate Drop Test - Failed

I tried the Borate drop test today. I had ordered the S-0009 and S-0010 from Amazon to use in conjunction with my Taylor K-2006. So I got to step 3 where you add 5 drops of the S-0009 Bromothymol Blue. The sample should turn yellow. Didn't happen. So then, you continue adding R-0009 drop wise while capping and mixing until you achieve yellow. Never happened. I used 1/4 of a bottle of R-0009 and never achieved yellow. Test discontinued.

Any ideas as to why my sample didn't turn yellow. I used 2 drops of R-0007 in step 1 and 5 drops of R-0009 in step 2 as per instructions.

Appreciate any advice on what I should do differently.
    11,600 gallon plaster salt pool & spa, IC20 SWG, IntelliPH, cartridge filter, 2.7HP IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Gas Heater, Easy Touch System w/remote, 8 roof mounted solar panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borate Drop Test - Failed

Are these the instructions you're following?
    http://piscines-apollo.com/docs/ap_borates_en_ins.pdf

Chem Geek posted a lot of info here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post280115

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-vs-test-strip

I know it doesn't answer the exact question but may give you an idea of what's not happening.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, those were the instructions I followed. I also did some pre-reading from this site and found at least one other member had the same issue ie. no detectable change to yellow in step 3. Didn't see any resolution posted. One of my reagents in my Taylor kit is old and I'm hoping that replacing it will generate the expected results as outlined in the instruction guide. I've been using the recommended strips; however, recently had some significant PH bounce and suspected my borate level had dropped (lots of rain & drain) yet the test strips weren't giving that indication. Looked like my borate level was around 30ppm. Had a second set of eyes looking as well. So after doing some research, I decided to order the two additional reagents and try the piscines-apollo instructions, since I couldn't get their kit. I'll post back my results after purchasing a fresh reagent and trying the test again next week.
    11,600 gallon plaster salt pool & spa, IC20 SWG, IntelliPH, cartridge filter, 2.7HP IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Gas Heater, Easy Touch System w/remote, 8 roof mounted solar panels

4. Back To Top    #4

Bromothymol Blue is a pH indicator dye. If it doesn't have ANY color when you add it, then it's not working and perhaps the dye is too weak/diluted. Is it even colored in concentrated form? The dye is yellow below pH 6.0 and blue above pH 7.6. Try adding it to some tap water. If it doesn't color the water even with a small sample size then you've got a bad reagent.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"