Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best time to run the pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best time to run the pump?

I bought a house with a pool about 2 months ago - first time owning a pool as an adult. I stumbled across your site right away and have stayed out of the LPS (local pool store). People think I am nuts buying 12 gallons of bleach from Target (buy 3 get one free - 8.25% for $2.99) and boxes of baking soda from Wal-Mart (4 lbs for $2.09). But that is OK, I know better thanks to you guys. I have had very good luck with my pool and am really enjoying the back yard.

I have heard that the hours we should run the pump is based on the air temperature (1 hours for every 10 degrees, so if it is 90 degrees, we should run pump for 9 hours per day). My question has to do with the best time of the day to run the pump. Should it be in the middle of the day with the most direct sunlight or should it be off hours (early in the morning and late at night) or does it even matter?

Thanks a bunch for any advice you can give me.

Ron
    POOL: 20,000 IG Pebble Sheen(2017), attached spa with fountain and spillway, built 1998
    FILTER: Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE
    PUMP: AO Smith USQ1152 1 1/2 HP single speed
    SWEEP: Polaris with a BOOSTER: Century Centurion Pentair LA01N 3/4 HP
    TEST KIT: TF-100 BLOWER: Silencer Air Blower 1 1/2 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best time to run the pump?

Welcome to TFP!

As far as time, run it as much as it takes to keep it clean and whenever somebody is swimming. 8 hours is a good start during the swimming season.

Day or night is harder to say. It probably doesn't make much difference. With a timer, running a few hours several times a day may be the best approach.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have tiered power cost based upon time? If not center it around swim time.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Rule of thumb we use overhere : you should be able to pump the entire pool in 4 hours, and depending on swimming day or not you should pump 1 to 2 cycles
    40000 liter in ground vinyl pool with SWG : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...he-Netherlands

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the information.
    POOL: 20,000 IG Pebble Sheen(2017), attached spa with fountain and spillway, built 1998
    FILTER: Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE
    PUMP: AO Smith USQ1152 1 1/2 HP single speed
    SWEEP: Polaris with a BOOSTER: Century Centurion Pentair LA01N 3/4 HP
    TEST KIT: TF-100 BLOWER: Silencer Air Blower 1 1/2 HP