Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae smalgae

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae smalgae

What is up with all this hype of people wanting a clear pool. The river by my house has bits of algae in it that I swim in all the time and have had no ill effects. I think it is about time someone starts to make green liners and we just swim with the algae....if it gets thick enough you can always harvest it and have a salad, right. Plus it would be a huge cost savings. I think this is one of my better ideas, time for me to open my own pool store with a new business plan. Who can I sign up for a green liner, first 10 customers get a free phos treatment.
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.
    new in 2016 - Hayward SWCG with T15 cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae smalgae

Wow, that didn't take long. I have another promo for everyone out there. Buy one get 2 free on algae eating fish for you pool this week only.
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.
    new in 2016 - Hayward SWCG with T15 cell

3. Back To Top    #3

Though this was probably facetious, I'll answer with why we control algae growth.

Algae tends to be slimy so if forming on steps or ramps then people can slip and fall. Also, if there is enough algae, then it creates an increase in chlorine demand so can be more expensive to maintain the pool. Finally, unless the pool is limited in algae nutrients, the algae may not stop growing so could start to affect water visibility in which case this becomes dangerous if one cannot see a drowned person at the bottom of the pool.

Now if someone has a poor area of circulation and there is a small amount of algae that is limited to growing there, then that can be something one just lives with though the algae could potentially stain the pool surface in that area if left alone for a long time.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Green liner?............you go first and post pics please. Second thought...why don't you just reroute that river into your pool? Why did you put up a pool in the first place?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!