New pool with the ever popular green water syndrome...

RiffeShooter

Platinum Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
Lake Jackson, Texas
I'm going to re-read the pool school section but yesterday the builder shocked the pool and added the stabilizer and everything looked pretty clear by the end of the day. This morning I woke up to do my brushing and it looked like a Dos Equis bottle. :p

I took a water sample to a pool supply and everything tested great and they said the water is swimmable but could not give me an answer on the green color. Here are the test results:

Saturation Index: .27
Water Color: None
Water Clarity: Clear
Free Chlorine: 5.3 ppm
Combined: 0
pH - 7.8 (I added one pint of acid)
Hardness - 180 ppm
Alkalinity (w/stabilizer correction) - 147 ppm
Cyanuric acid - 10 ppm
Copper - 0 ppm
Iron - 0 ppm
TDS - 600 ppm

Pool was filled with well water and originally had .22 on the iron but the metal out stuff took that away. Chlorine is high from the shock I suspect. 8 lbs. of stabilizer was also added yesterday so I suspect that is probably still dissolving (didn't look in skimmer before typing this up).

Thanks! :goodjob:

Thanks for the quick answer and I'll order one of those test kits today! Anyone of the 5 you like more than the other or are they all pretty much the same? Pool was filled by Saturday morning and was pumping in the afternoon. Here are some pics of the water:

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

I'll second the TF-100. The speed-stir is nice too, worth the money. I went a summer without it and I wish I had not. While you're ordering, get a refill of R-013 for the CYA test, I ran out of that way before anything else and I hate to pay shipping on a $8 item later.

Post your numbers and we'll get you on track. As to the 8 pounds of CYA you added- it can take a week for it to fully dissolve and register on the test.

The TF-100 is the best value. And the SpeedStir is a very nice add-on that makes the testing a little easier and faster.

Thanks! Should I test first and then add the sequestering agent or should I run to the supply store now and get a sequestering agent to be quick to the draw? Looks like the TF-100 will need to be ordered online. I called the local pool supply and the only thing they sell are the Pentair test kits. She said that their testing is accurate but did say I could come by and get some Metal Magic and add like a 1/2 quart to be safe on not getting cloudy.

Tf100 is the best value...the amount of test chemicals you get for what you pay. If your pool is green, the XL version is worth considering.

The owner of that company is affiliated with this site, but that has no impact on my suggestion. Same chemicals as the Taylor kits, but for the cost, it's a much better value.

I'll second the TF-100. The speed-stir is nice too, worth the money. I went a summer without it and I wish I had not. While you're ordering, get a refill of R-013 for the CYA test, I ran out of that way before anything else and I hate to pay shipping on a $8 item later.

Post your numbers and we'll get you on track. As to the 8 pounds of CYA you added- it can take a week for it to fully dissolve and register on the test.

Will do. Thanks for the tip on the R-013!

Is this a newly plastered pool? If this is, and you are high in metals you are running a major risk of devolving stains on the plaster that will not come out with normal techniques. Sequestrant is HIGHLY recommended at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this a newly plastered pool? If this is, and you are high in metals you are running a major risk of devolving stains on the plaster that will not come out with normal techniques. Sequestrant is HIGHLY recommended at this point.

It is a new pool so based on what you said here, I will go get some sequestering agent right now. Thanks!

If I do add too much of the sequestering agent and it clouds the water, is there a remedy for that?

I put the whole quart of Metal Magic in. The bottle says 1 quart per 10000 gallons. I know only 1 quart was used in the beginning. I also turned on the other two pumps to maximize the distribution of the sequestrant. I'll let those two run for a little bit and then cut them back off and just let the filter pump run. Thanks for the recommendation on the TFTestkits! I spoke with them on the phone and they were extremely helpful and said the green water after adding chlorine is a tell tale sign of iron, even though the supply house showed 0 iron on the test. He also said I should probably throw a gallon of bleach in the water each evening until the test kit gets here.

I know what the real deal is here. The water is green because my UltraPure isn't hooked up yet. I have now realized after searching ya'll are staunch supporters of it! :poke: :p :laughblue:

Already been shipped and should be here tomorrow, I'm sure I'll need another one sooner or later I'd imagine...

Update, I checked the PH again this morning with the poo poo Pentair test kit and it still showed high so I put 3/4 gallon of acid in, a little too much, it is now needing a little soda ash. Guess what, the pool cleared right up. It is not perfect yet but 95% of the green that was there is now gone. Once I get the real test kit tomorrow, I'll start using the Pool Calculator app on my phone.

The builder did come by today and brought me 2 bottles of GLB Sequa Sol and we put one in.

I'm going to run out to get some borax or soda ash to bring'er on back up.

Ok, I was in a rather rotten mood earlier, my apologies, but I did just that zimm, I let it settle and decided to get the ever popular pool store to test again before adding anything just to back up what I saw (in my pool infant tester stage) before adding something else. I would think I can handle testing the pool because I have a 300 gallon reef aquarium that I do a little bit of testing in… ;) The Pentair kit (or the pool store) was off. The acid I used earlier definitely took away the green because nothing else was added until the extra sequestrant was added. The pool did not cloud up at all from the sequestrant and before it was added I did a search on this forum and saw it mentioned in several places that it was fine to use the BLG Seaqua Sol or whatever it it.

In any event, I'm in a much better mood now because I've been swimming for the last 3 hours. :swim:

I forgot which brand tester they use but it was something hooked into a computer system, but regardless, my TF-100 will be here tomorrow and I will test again! Here are the results from the pool store testing:

FC - 3.6
TC - 3.6
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
Hardness - 170
Alk - 116
CYA - 15
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
TDS - 700

More tests coming tomorrow with a real kit!:p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.