How Much Chlorine to Buy/Store

FlyAU98

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
After finding that Chlorine at the local pool store is cheaper than bleach for me, I'm going to pick some up today. The store does double-stamps for their buy 10 get one free card on Wednesdays, so I'll try to make Wednesday my restocking day.

I assume I'll need to buy the 2.5 gallon bottles that are then refilled.

I have two needs, tempered by not wanting to store more than necessary.
1) Daily upkeep of the pool
2) Durring Hurricane Season, be prepared to recover the pool soon after the storm. We have plenty of notice for storms, so I could go refill a couple days out.

I was thinking of starting with 3 or 4 2.5 gallon jugs. Any suggestions?

Yesterday's Test via TF-100:
FC=7
CC=0
pH=7.3 (I think my old acid is a bit stronger than labeled, so my addition over did it)
TA=70
CH=275

Not sure if this helps or not but I also get a Wednesday deal on 12.5% at a local pool store. I usually will buy 4-5 cases of 4 gallons each. I store it inside in a cool environment and have never noticed any major degradation in strength,

The higher the % the quicker it degrades due to heat/sunlight. As a former Cooper City resident i know you get lots of both. I would base my purchases on how much you go through. Stock a two week supply, that way if you miss a Wednesday you have enough to get to the next Wednesday.

If you are going to stick to liquid chlorine you may want to look into automating the process so that you don't have to pour it in the pool every day. Here is my Stenner pump install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.