Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to cove the corners of my old pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

South Florida

Cool Do I need to cove the corners of my old pool?

Hi all,

I have an old pool with straight edges and corners throughout. I've been told that I should have the bottom of the pool coved (meaning to round the edges). Newer pools have coved bottoms that apparently keep automatic cleaners from getting stuck and dirt from getting stuck in corners and along the edges.

That makes sense but would like to know what the experience of others is on this forum. Is it worth the trouble and money to cove the bottom of the pool?

You can see photos of my pool in my thread here:
    Currently remodeling a 1950's 15x25 14,000+ gallon IG concrete block pool myself. Old galvanized pipes, delaminating plaster, lily pad skimmer, no waterline tile, equipment pad too close to pool, etc. Follow my thread as I chronicle the remodel process.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Do I need to cove the corners of my old pool?

If your going to the trouble to redo it why not cove the corners. It's personal preference really. You could compromise, cove the bottom but not the sides.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida