Adding DE question

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
I added Two cups of DE to my sand filter twice. Neither time the pressure went up after adding two cups. The first time I did it the pressure went up over a couple of days that I needed to backwash. Last Tuesday I added it for the second time and my pressure hasn't budged in over a week and I am not seeing a difference in the particles in the water. Can I add more than two cups to get the pressure to go up initially?

Maybe your water is clean enough that the DE isn't catching much stuff. :)
I wouldn't add more than 2 cups to that size filter.

How are you seeing the particles? Only in the light at night or during the day?

At night with the light. A lot of particles floating around. I am trying to get that water polish:)

I am fortunate I don't get a lot of crud in my pool. I brushed last night and saw no clouds of dust or anything. I use a skimmer sock and scum bug and neither ever gets very dirty. If I see anything on the bottom I whip out the Poolmaster and get it up right away.

Are you adding DE to a sand filter? Can you do that?

For my DE filter (see info in signature below), I add 5 pounds of DE per backwash, which ends up being a lot more than 2 cups.
Yes you can and no you don't use as much as for a DE filter ... there is an article in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.