Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE question

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE question

I added Two cups of DE to my sand filter twice. Neither time the pressure went up after adding two cups. The first time I did it the pressure went up over a couple of days that I needed to backwash. Last Tuesday I added it for the second time and my pressure hasn't budged in over a week and I am not seeing a difference in the particles in the water. Can I add more than two cups to get the pressure to go up initially?
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding DE question

Maybe your water is clean enough that the DE isn't catching much stuff.
    I wouldn't add more than 2 cups to that size filter.

How are you seeing the particles? Only in the light at night or during the day?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you adding DE to a sand filter? Can you do that?

For my DE filter (see info in signature below), I add 5 pounds of DE per backwash, which ends up being a lot more than 2 cups.
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    Maybe your water is clean enough that the DE isn't catching much stuff.
    I wouldn't add more than 2 cups to that size filter.

How are you seeing the particles? Only in the light at night or during the day?
    At night with the light. A lot of particles floating around. I am trying to get that water polish

I am fortunate I don't get a lot of crud in my pool. I brushed last night and saw no clouds of dust or anything. I use a skimmer sock and scum bug and neither ever gets very dirty. If I see anything on the bottom I whip out the Poolmaster and get it up right away.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Are you adding DE to a sand filter? Can you do that?

For my DE filter (see info in signature below), I add 5 pounds of DE per backwash, which ends up being a lot more than 2 cups.
    Yes you can and no you don't use as much as for a DE filter ... there is an article in Pool School.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I did this to mine and noticed a HUGE difference in the clarity of my water and overall cleaning power of the filter.
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

7. Back To Top    #7

You're always going to see some particles in the light at night. You could try a scum bag and it may get smaller particles.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Scum bag is on my list for next season as well as an automatic cleaner. Our season in maine is fast approaching a close....
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.