Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: InteliChlor IC40 Cell Light Blinking

1. Back To Top    #1

InteliChlor IC40 Cell Light Blinking

I'm afraid that my 3-year old InteliChlor is dead. The cell light is blinking green and the InteliChlor manual, page 7: “Cell: Shows the status of the IECG. Green (flashing): The IECG needs to be inspected. The blades may have calcium buildup. The IECG is not producing chlorine.”

I've cleaned the cell thoroughly, there is no calcium on the electrodes. Is it possible that it failed after 3 summers of use?

Has anyone have similar experienced with InteliChlor?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: InteliChlor IC40 Cell Light Blinking

I just posted the same question a few days ago but haven't received any responses. My IC40 is 2 years old with 2000 hours of run time.
    18,000 Gallon in ground salt pool and spa, Quartzscape, Pentair Easy Touch, Pentair IntelliClor IC 40,
    Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400,000 BTU Heater
    1 Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump, The Pool Cleaner Sweep

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in my 5th summer and 3rd cell. Luckily 2 were under warranty. Last winter I started shutting it off (Houston area) and using bleach for Cl.

17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-tx-pool-t17907.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Typical cell life is 3 to 5 years depending on use.

How many hours has it run for? They are designed for 10,000 hours if operation but lifetime can be significantly shorter depending on water chemistry.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by coog61 View Post
    I'm in my 5th summer and 3rd cell. Luckily 2 were under warranty. Last winter I started shutting it off (Houston area) and using bleach for Cl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a very practical idea. If anyone has a Pentair IntelliChlor, Pentair sells a dummy pipe with the proper fittings on it do you can detach your IC and replace it with a straight tube. Since most SWG won't run in the winter due to the cold water cutoff, it's probably better to switch over to manual chlorination.

6. Back To Top    #6

I assume the reason for the dummy replacement is to prevent freezing damage etc. (usually not an issue here). Or just use one your "dead" ones.

17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by coog61 View Post
    I assume the reason for the dummy replacement is to prevent freezing damage etc. (usually not an issue here). Or just use one your "dead" ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I meant this -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002NJ...pi=SL500_SS115

It's just a straight pipe meant as a dummy to be placed where you'd normally have the cell. In some areas it's advisable to remove the cell over winter so there's no chance of freezing damage. Here in Southern AZ, the pool water flows all year round so there's little chance of freezing but it does get cold enough that the cell will stop generating. So this pipe would be a way of still running the pool but without a cell.

8. Back To Top    #8

I just wonder if there's any harm to just leaving the cell in place, but shutting it off or unplugging it. That is essentially what I have done over the last 7 years. Of course, I'm now on my 3rd cell...

I'm in So. California, so the freezing risk is negligible..
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by peterl1365 View Post
    I just wonder if there's any harm to just leaving the cell in place, but shutting it off or unplugging it. That is essentially what I have done over the last 7 years. Of course, I'm now on my 3rd cell...

I'm in So. California, so the freezing risk is negligible..
    Seems very reasonable. I left my cell in place and active all last winter. When it got cold here, the cold water cutoff kicked in for several weeks straight so the cell stopped generating chlorine.

I'm not sure which is better for extended cell life - leaving it in or shelving it.

We simply don't get cold enough here in Tucson to worry about prolonged freezing damage as our daytime temps are almost always well above freezing. I would be worried if I lived in a different climate where prolonged freezing is an issue and would therefore remove the cell.

10. Back To Top    #10

1. Ensure your Salt level (take precise measurement, NOT at pool store) is 3500 -- 3700
    2. Calibrate cell using this link

11. Back To Top    #11

I ran Muriatic acid through the blades, and then I placed it back into the Intellichlor. The blades can accumulate calcium from what I'm told.
    24x32 feet, In-ground, Saltwater, Gunite pool (under construction)

12. Back To Top    #12

Just a suggestion for those of you who have been through more than one cell. I replace my good cell with a bad cell during my NON-SWG use during the winter, so even if I'm running the pump, I'm using a dummy SWG that went bad in the past. It's a 5-minute switch. You don't need to buy the dummy piece.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I am having the same issue with cell light blinking. I've cleaned mine as well and no changes. Is the consensus that it must be replaced? I can add regular chlorine if I shut it off correct?

14. Back To Top    #14

I had the same situation and had to replace. Yes, use bleach (chlorine) in the mean time. See Pool Math for volumes.