Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What chemical level to adjust first?

1. Back To Top    #1

What chemical level to adjust first?

I just receive my tf-100 and completed the testing of my water. Now what?

FC 5. Good

pH 7.2 low but might be good since TA is high and poolmath says to lower pH to 7.2 before lowering TA. Add 11oz of soda ash to raise to7.5

TA 120. High. PM does not tell me what to add to lower to 70

CH 85. Good.

CYA 30. Low. Add 27 oz of stabilizer to increase to 70. Can I do this now or do I need to fix high TA first?

Combined chloramines 0.5. I test for this but PM does not reference CC
    5061 gal AG Intex 16 x 48 Ultra metal frame installed 8/10/14. 1500 gph Intex Cartridge Filter Pump with over side skimmer. Intex SWG 7k gal. TF-100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What chemical level to adjust first?

First, how does your water look? the TA will take care of itself when you lower acid. If you dont have any problems with PH rising then I really wouldnt worry about TA. CYA can be raised at any point and be dissolving in a sock... to me your numbers look really good... if the water is clear just get the cya in a sock and make sure to keep CL up
    12k - free form - plaster- Nautilus fns48 DE filter- centurion 1hp (so quiet)- In floor cleaning system with Jandy Caretaker - TF-50 and 5 in 1 test kit, Phoenix, Az

3. Back To Top    #3

Add CYA in a sock either in front of a return or in the skimmer basket.

Don't sweat the pH. It's low, but it will likely creep up by itself in an SWG pool.

I recommend leaving the TA alone, too. It will cause the pH to creep up faster, and as you add acid to keep the pH from hitting 8.0, you'll lower the TA, too. It won't cause any harm at the current level; there is no reason for you to work at pushing it down immediately. Instead, keep an eye on the pH. As you keep the pH in line, the TA will find its own happy place.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

4. Back To Top    #4

Great. Thank you. My water is crystal clear. I Will add the CYA now and test again next week. Now on to the spa. .
    5061 gal AG Intex 16 x 48 Ultra metal frame installed 8/10/14. 1500 gph Intex Cartridge Filter Pump with over side skimmer. Intex SWG 7k gal. TF-100 Kit