Free Chlorine Question

So as per the chart, according to my CYA I have to maintain a FC level of 8. I have been doing that all year by adding 1 gallon of bleach a day and I have not had a problem at all. My water looks like diamonds when the sun shines on it. But I was wondering, can I let the chlorine drift to down to the lower number of say 5 or should I kick it over 8 (to say around 11 where 1 gallon should get me) and let it drift down to 8?

Ok great thank you. I do notice my liner is a little lighter especially by my stairs. It is 8 year old, and I have no clue where my chlorine levels went in years past due to shocking because of such frequent algae problems. Amazing what a gallon of bleach a day will do I have to tell ya :). Even my wife says I am a pool genius! LOL

Leaving for a weeks vacation next week, plan on raising to shock level and letting it drift down over the week as per what I have been reading on here.

Mine is 5 to 7. I am lazy plus my parents living in my guest house have my nieces over when I am working so I keep mine above 10. I add a gallon every other day. Back to back swimming for a bit usually will have to add another half to full gallon.
Right now I am testing a homemade dispenser. Dripper system valve and a 5 gallon bucket. Seems to be working great. Just have to get the amount right.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Mine is 5 to 7. I am lazy plus my parents living in my guest house have my nieces over when I am working so I keep mine above 10. I add a gallon every other day. Back to back swimming for a bit usually will have to add another half to full gallon.
Right now I am testing a homemade dispenser. Dripper system valve and a 5 gallon bucket. Seems to be working great. Just have to get the amount right.

Keep an eye on those tubes and irrigation drip emitters. They are NOT designed for chemical service and will likely fail more quickly than you realize. Then you'll end up with 5 gallons of bleach all over your equipment pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are all plastic. Chlorine only. No acid.

Doesn't matter. Unless it's rated for chemical use, it will degrade. Not everything that is "plastic" means it can handle chemicals. And also, bleach is concentrated chlorine. 12% bleach is 120,000 ppm of FC (1% = 10,000ppm). So plastics need to be rated for chemical use.

Irrigation system plastic is not intended for chemical dispensing. Irrigation tubes are typically made of low density polyethylene (LDPE) tubing which is not rated for chlorine use.

See this chart for chemical compatibility -

http://www.calpaclab.com/chemical-chart-containers/#LDPE_HDPE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.