Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Free Chlorine Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Free Chlorine Question

So as per the chart, according to my CYA I have to maintain a FC level of 8. I have been doing that all year by adding 1 gallon of bleach a day and I have not had a problem at all. My water looks like diamonds when the sun shines on it. But I was wondering, can I let the chlorine drift to down to the lower number of say 5 or should I kick it over 8 (to say around 11 where 1 gallon should get me) and let it drift down to 8?
    TF-100 Test Kit
    16 x 36 @26,000 Gallons Vinyl Inground Built in 2005
    Hayward Pro-Grid 4820 DE Filter
    Hayward HP-2100 Heat Pro Heat Pump
    Aquabot 4WD Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Free Chlorine Question

If the range is 5 to 8, 5 is the minimum. 8 should give you a target that allows it to remain above 5 all day despite the solar breakdown. And then you add again the next day to get it up to 8.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

ok so me keeping it at 8 and driving it up to 11 or so is actually overkill? At what chlorine level do i have to start to worry about bleaching my liner and doing other damage from chlorine? or does that all go according to my cya level as well?
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Aquabot 4WD Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

All relative to your cya level. No concerns about bleaching until your are north of slam level for your cya.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok great thank you. I do notice my liner is a little lighter especially by my stairs. It is 8 year old, and I have no clue where my chlorine levels went in years past due to shocking because of such frequent algae problems. Amazing what a gallon of bleach a day will do I have to tell ya . Even my wife says I am a pool genius! LOL

Leaving for a weeks vacation next week, plan on raising to shock level and letting it drift down over the week as per what I have been reading on here.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Aquabot 4WD Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Mine is 5 to 7. I am lazy plus my parents living in my guest house have my nieces over when I am working so I keep mine above 10. I add a gallon every other day. Back to back swimming for a bit usually will have to add another half to full gallon.
    Right now I am testing a homemade dispenser. Dripper system valve and a 5 gallon bucket. Seems to be working great. Just have to get the amount right.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

7. Back To Top    #7

Free Chlorine Question

Quote Originally Posted by tbsimmons View Post
    Mine is 5 to 7. I am lazy plus my parents living in my guest house have my nieces over when I am working so I keep mine above 10. I add a gallon every other day. Back to back swimming for a bit usually will have to add another half to full gallon.
    Right now I am testing a homemade dispenser. Dripper system valve and a 5 gallon bucket. Seems to be working great. Just have to get the amount right.

Keep an eye on those tubes and irrigation drip emitters. They are NOT designed for chemical service and will likely fail more quickly than you realize. Then you'll end up with 5 gallons of bleach all over your equipment pad.

8. Back To Top    #8

They are all plastic. Chlorine only. No acid.

9. Back To Top    #9

Free Chlorine Question

Quote Originally Posted by tbsimmons View Post
    They are all plastic. Chlorine only. No acid.

Doesn't matter. Unless it's rated for chemical use, it will degrade. Not everything that is "plastic" means it can handle chemicals. And also, bleach is concentrated chlorine. 12% bleach is 120,000 ppm of FC (1% = 10,000ppm). So plastics need to be rated for chemical use.

Irrigation system plastic is not intended for chemical dispensing. Irrigation tubes are typically made of low density polyethylene (LDPE) tubing which is not rated for chlorine use.

See this chart for chemical compatibility -

http://www.calpaclab.com/chemical-ch...ers/#LDPE_HDPE

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks.